lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 Club Car DS Won't Charge

Well, I went out and cleaned up my garage and managed to short out the extension cord I had the Powerdrive2 plugged into, which tripped a 20A circuit breaker. So now the charger clicks when I plug it into its receptacle but instead of jumping up to 8-10 amps charge I get nothing. The batteries are fully charged and read 51.33V and the reading at the plug is only 40.82.

So does this charger have a fuse or am I going to have to open it up to see if there are any burnt components? There is a plastic button on the front of the charger that I thought might be a reset, but pushing it in didn't make any difference and it didn't feel like it was resetting anything.

Any thoughts on what to troubleshoot next? Is there a schematic for the charger? Thanks in advance.
sternk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 Club Car DS Won't Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternk13 View Post
Well, I went out and cleaned up my garage and managed to short out the extension cord I had the Powerdrive2 plugged into, which tripped a 20A circuit breaker. So now the charger clicks when I plug it into its receptacle but instead of jumping up to 8-10 amps charge I get nothing. The batteries are fully charged and read 51.33V and the reading at the plug is only 40.82.

So does this charger have a fuse or am I going to have to open it up to see if there are any burnt components? There is a plastic button on the front of the charger that I thought might be a reset, but pushing it in didn't make any difference and it didn't feel like it was resetting anything.

Any thoughts on what to troubleshoot next? Is there a schematic for the charger? Thanks in advance.
I believe there is a fuse inside the charger.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

is there a fuse on outside of charger? also check diode and heatsink ..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

There is no fuse on the outside, and I believe the reset switch might be an internal circuit breaker. I'm going to open up the charger tomorrow and take a look to see if there is a fuse inside or if I can smell burned silicon.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

There's a fuse inside, but it's on the DC side so I doubt it's blown. Are you sure you're getting power to the charger? I know you said it tripped the breaker, but you've got the symptoms of no power going to charger.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Hi Dave, I reset the main circuit breaker in my shop that tripped, and I can hear an audible 'click' from the charger shortly after I insert the charger cord into it's receptacle on the car. I just don't see the amp meter on the charger hand jump to about 10 amps as I did previously. When I remove the cord I can hear a click that shows I have interrupted the circuit. I'm fairly confident that I'm not getting a charge, as I don't hear the familiar 'buzz' I used to from the charger once it has turned on.

When I accidentally shorted the extension cord, there was a power surge that tripped a 20A breaker on my garages' circuit breaker panel. That split second surge would likely have blown a fuse or done damage to some electronic components inside the charger. Unfortunately I don't have a schematic to start to systematically do the old 'divide and conquer' technique for troubleshooting.

Tomorrow I am going to open up the charger and do a visual. Thanks, ken
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Look in this manual starting on page 5-7:

Attachment 72046
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
There is no fuse on the outside, and I believe the reset switch might be an internal circuit breaker. I'm going to open up the charger tomorrow and take a look to see if there is a fuse inside or if I can smell burned silicon.
must be the older powerdrive i,m thinking of..............................................
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

OK I get the dummy of the day award. When I reset the tripped circuit breaker in my garage I oriented the switch the same as the other two in the panel, which were switched off.

I normally test for power first thing, but I had the day from he!! yesterday and everything, I mean everything I did went to sh!t. Charger is working fine and withstood the short in the extension cord, but it is plugged straight into the wall outlet now.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
OK I get the dummy of the day award. When I reset the tripped circuit breaker in my garage I oriented the switch the same as the other two in the panel, which were switched off.

I normally test for power first thing, but I had the day from he!! yesterday and everything, I mean everything I did went to sh!t. Charger is working fine and withstood the short in the extension cord, but it is plugged straight into the wall outlet now.
...........we all do dummy things it happens............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car