lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Alltrax or GE Controller

My cart is 2008 Precedent IQ.

I have a DCX 500 Alltrax controller which I programmed to get the most smooth start possible but it is herky jerky when starting. This has been discussed many times. I have not gotten an upgraded map from Alltrax, but will it really help much anyway?

Has anyone had experience with the GE 500 amp controllers? Do they have this same issue? Would be interested if you guys would share your experiences and opinions.

The old stock setup was so smooth and although I like my new performance, is is becoming a nuisance with jerky takeoffs, especially when my kids drive it
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
lmswest
Gone Wild

Default Re: Alltrax or GE Controller

My alltrax isn't jerky at all at any speed. I'm sure you'll find a setting or map to fit your liking rather than buying something else..
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
My alltrax isn't jerky at all at any speed. I'm sure you'll find a setting or map to fit your liking rather than buying something else..
This is a known issue with the Alltrax controllers, did the same thing on my DS cart. I have tried all throttle response curves and set it on the smoothest but it still jerks if you start out too slow, the stock controller was very smooth. What are your settings? Did you install a custom map to help with this problem?

I wonder if it is because my high performance motor just does not like the minimal amount of juice it gets for a slow smooth takeoff?

I will contact Alltrax, but has anyone had expetience with the GE controllers?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
lmswest
Gone Wild

I'll have to plug in my cable and check. I installed my 4865 before my motor upgrade so I have my ramp up at max (13 I think) but I don't remember which curve I used.After the motor install I thought I would have to change settings but I love it. And donuts in the field are SO much fun!! I'm out of town till the weekend but ill get back to you after I hook my laptop to it.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Here is what I did today. I emailed Alltrax and they sent me "clubcar5.hex" file so I got home and installed that throttle curve. The result was a much more herky jerky takeoff, however it now sees 100% throttle. I reset back to "inductive" curve as that is the smoothest, it see's anywhere from 90-95% throttle.

Oh well, maybe I will email Alltrax with the results and they could at least get the inductive curve to see 100% throttle.

I wish Curtis had a high performance replacement as there system was smooth.

Still waiting for any GE experiences
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Laser
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I had to set my throttle up rate all the way down to a 1, and the throttle down rate to a 3, before I could get smooth take-offs. (Alltrax 500 A DCX and PQ motor). I also have to come to a complete stop for the throttle to respond at all. If the cart is rolling in either direction, there is no throttle response until I first come to a stop. On an incline that means using both pedals - the brake to hold still and the throttle to move forward.
Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
I had to set my throttle up rate all the way down to a 1, and the throttle down rate to a 3, before I could get smooth take-offs. (Alltrax 500 A DCX and PQ motor). I also have to come to a complete stop for the throttle to respond at all. If the cart is rolling in either direction, there is no throttle response until I first come to a stop. On an incline that means using both pedals - the brake to hold still and the throttle to move forward.
I did not notice much difference playing with those settings, the only real difference I noticed in changing any settings was with the throttle curves, "inductive" being the overall smoothest.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
lmswest
Gone Wild

I'm wondering if the difference is between iq and regular ds ?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Talking Re: Alltrax or GE Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
I'm wondering if the difference is between iq and regular ds ?
I have a DS cart that has an AXE Alltrax with high speed motor and it is really jerky too from the start so I do not think so, I have read it is because the Alltrax cannot pick up the weak throttle signal at lower input but that the Curtis could.

Another observation: I was monitoring when driving and noticed the controller did not recognize throttle until 26%; that would make for a jerky start
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I think for now my final analysis is that Alltrax needs some improvement, either from a solid state perspective or software, hopefully just a new throttle curve, but they definitely need some improvement.

Another note, since we have heard nothing regarding the GE controllers, I guess Alltrax is the only game in town for controller upgrade, at least I have seen nothing else. And, it appears Curtis has so many controllers that nobody could figure out what will work or not, just not a lot of good info out there on them. Might be time for me to plunk down $500 for a GE controller to test, you know kinda take one for the team
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car