lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
1BADYAMAHA
Not Yet Wild

Default Compression Issues

I have a 1999 Yamaha G16, My starter just wont turn the motor past the compression stroke without a head start at it. When I pull the plug the starter turns the engine fine. When I put the plug back in the starter will turn fine a few rotations but it seems the engine is building compression. I pulled the head and there is a small amount of oil on the piston but could this be causing an increase in compression? I have replaced the starter and to ensure it was not bad wiring i have bypassed the wiring and gone straight to the starter with battery cables. I am confused, please help!!
1BADYAMAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Compression Issues

I am putting off a new starting battery and have the same deal.
Did you load test the battery?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have the same thing, my battery is weak,
did you load test the battery?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
1BADYAMAHA
Not Yet Wild

Have not yet.....seems to turn over fine though before it builds compression. will check battery and let yall know what i find.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

1. Make sure all terminal connections on the high current cabling between battery and starter are clean and tight
2. Make sure connections to the battery are clean and tight.
3. Make sure the battery is at full charge.

Those three things should go a long way toward correcting your problem, and totally free at that. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
rwt101
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Make sure the valves are adjusted . If they are too loose it will cause that.
Bob T
rwt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I see lots of connection issues on G1/2/9s, even if the batt clamps look good they can still cause a problem. Usually you can feel them get warm at the bad connection if it still turns over, but don't get burned by them. Brushes can go bad in the gen too. Usually you can jump it and if it starts fine then you know the battery is bad, and if it wont start a golf cart it is really blasted. Just make sure that is the issue before you toss the battery. I ran my cart on used truck batteries for almost a decade. Battery would not start a truck in the winter would last 3 more years in my cart worked fine lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

just dealt with this last week its the battery quick test is jump it off a car if you know what your doing, remember put cart in nutural then start it , if it fires right over pull the cables and keep the cart running for a few minutes , normally this will charge the battery enough to start the cart again if you let off the engine stop and then try restarting it if it fires right up you know its the battery also clean all connections as that will cause the premature battery faliure in a golf cart
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
1BADYAMAHA
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for all of the help, ok here is where I am at, I load checked the battery it is good. To eliminate the battery/electrical questions I hooked the starter up directly to my truck battery and still the same problem, went from battery straight to starter so I am positive it is not a weak battery/bad connection problem. This leads me to believe that possibly it is a valve issue. Could having an overgapped valve cause this? I can barely turn the engine past compression stroke if I grab the clutch and turn it by hand is this normal?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no that would be valve related pull the valve cover off and see what you got there first check the valves are opening and closing you may have a stuck exhaust valve and or a bent push rod this could be due to a carbon buildup on the valve or even an overheated valve the has welded itself into the head or a bent valve , one thing i would do first it would be pull valve cover and turn the engine over by hand and see if the valves move if they both open then thats not the problem, if they dont i would pull the rocker arms and the push rods and try opening the valves with a dead blow plastic hammer to see if they will move ( make sure the piston is down when doing this ) if they both open easy and snap right back you'll hear it and see it, if they are both ok then its a lifter or cam problem , if the exhaust valve doesnt open then thats going to be the problem and your going to end up pulling the head . if you need help just use the pm on the website and ill send my phone number and walk you through it once you have the valve cover off.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha