lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G.3 fuel pump issues

Hi all, first post from a newbee. Great site. I just purchased a Yamaha G3 2 stroke Golf Cart that I think was made in 1985. It was not running when purchased and the seller had identified fuel pump as a problem and tried a new pump but couldn't get it running. I removed the fuel line at the pump outlet and blew into the fuel tank until fuel came out but still no start. I then rigged a direct gravity fuel line to the carb and after time and a quick shot of starting fluid got it going. It was really smoking at first but cleaned out and would restart easily (note I used 50:1 premix on the temporary until I knew the oil pump was working so that may have added to the smoke). It was running good on the temp line but the pump was not working so I unhooked the vacuum line and started blowing rusty liquid but after a while it cleaned out. I picked up a temporary new plastic pump and new vacuum to test today but don't want to ruin it with the junk from the vacuum line. Sooo the questions. 1) Is the vacuum line connected at the low point in the bottom end? 2) Is there a way to flush/clean this out with out removing the motor 3) any suggestions on what next are appreciated. Thanks Dan
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G.3 fuel pump issues

You don't want junk in the crank of those, but I forget where exactly it hooks in. If you get the piston over the exhaust port but not all the way up you should be able to pressurize the crank to blow something out the hose (like with a blow gun in the plug hole and a rag). Though running it will also clear the crank case out quickly.

The oil pump is a different deal it is activated by exhaust back pressure, that hose to the exhaust. If you have to prime the pump it may take a while to get oil up, run premix at 50:1 (maybe even less oil) until you are sure its working. Sure it is posted here but think you can run it with a vacuum pump (pressurize it) on the hose to make it go full oil flow. They take little oil at all unless you floor it. The pumps do fail with huge hours on some carts, but should be fine on a nicer cart.

I am assuming this cart has the same mechanicals as a G1, which you will find all kinds of info about here. Been a while since I worked on one.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G.3 fuel pump issues

Thanks sho. Found that fuel from my temp set up had all drained overnight thru the carb and flooding into the bottom end. Pulled the carb and cleaned it up, the bowl looked like it was half full of saw dust. Started it up to blow out the bottom end and it was pretty clean by the time it dried out. Mounted the temp plastic fuel pump and went for a drive. Seems to do about 15 to 20 MPH on flat and had no problem with some pretty steep hills. Ordered the stock pump today. Looks like it's going to run fine so it's time to get it cleaned up
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha