lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 Goes & Stops

soffit, that's a great idea. thinking maybe the continuous kind 16" x 4" should let out a lot of heat. just for kicks I open the gas tank fill cover to feel the heat coming out, amazing how much heat gets trapped in the engine compartment. wondering if there's a normal operating temp. for golf carts?
I tried using my wife's meat thermometer, don't work so good.
JP
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They get warm, but think they get warmer with the kind of use we give them. I just looked on amazon and found some smaller radiator fans for under $20, think that might be the ticket. I would not bother but trail riding for a while if I get in a slow section it could get hot with the larger clone in there, why not have a fan on it.

At one point I wanted to put a tunnel down the frame center with a fan in the front, blow down it to the engine. Even 4" high especially if you dropped the swingarm you could get a lot of air in there. But someone repurposed an item I had to do it with and so I put it off. So I might mount the fan to blow out the rear for now and I'll have the fan.

I didn't vent the rear because of noise and was thinking of putting a box in there to carry tow straps and such....or a subwoofer lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If your cart is dying when it gets hot, putting a vent or fan in the engine bay is just masking the real problem. That motor should run all day long, no matter what you put it through.
The next time the motor quits, spray the coil with some component cooler from radioshack. It will immediately cool off the coil. If it starts right up after that, you know you have a coil issue. Coil issues are usually caused by loose connections, or a bad plug wire.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

1989, I ordered a plug wire and boot yesterday, in the meantime I'll double check the connections down to the generator, at one time the colored wire was a little sloppy but, I thought I reseated it pretty good. I'm still thinking the engine is running hotter than should be, just don't know if that's contributing to the coil problem.
Thanks
JP
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Why do you think it is running hotter than it should? Are the engine shrouds and fan still intact? Is the bottom of the engine bay pretty much open, or has someone added a cover? Any pics?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'll get some pics in the am when it's light but, the shrouds are all intact and clean. When the cart is running I can feel the heat pouring up through the gas filler door when it's open. In addition, the edge of the rear cowl where it meets the seat shows some definite signs of warping and bending from the heat coming up from the engine compartment. I checked the oil dipstick the other nite after running a few minutes and the bottom of the dipstick was to hot to handle, that just don't seem right to me.
JP
Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

That does sound like it's a little too hot. Maybe a little too lean? What's the plug look like?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The plug is dry and black but the electrode shows more wear than it should for a new plug just installed a month ago. I did adjust the carb to the specified 1 1/2 turns out and the idle a hair out from being seated. I also just thought about the buckle in the cowl is right over the muffler so, I guess I can look forward to checking that for any obstructions.
JP
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is just the idle mixture. If you have any leak in the airbox or intake it will run lean. You can richen it (if you can't find a leak) by filing out the main jet with a torch tip cleaner. Take the carb off and bowl, up the center hole use a sharp/new screw driver and take the main out. File it out a little. Put it back in not real tight. Run the cart and see. I took the airbox silencer over the gen off my G9 and took around 6 times to get it rich enough maybe 10 strokes each. On the cart you can take the bowl off on a G9 and get the jet out if its not real tight. Read the plug and get it tan or light brown. Have to read the plug after running it harder on the main jet not the idle jet.

Yeah check the muffler, not common but have seen it posted.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

One of the contributors of this forum was nice enough to send me an airbox since the original on the cart was pretty much warped and had a hold down tab broken off. It seems fairly tight now but I'm still not 100% it's air tight, I'm working on getting a new seal or using some window insulation around the lid to see what happen. I've seen some posts on here about a K&N but I can't find a K&N filter with a good fit over the carb. at Autozone.

Appreciate all the comments, by the time I get through with this "B---h" it'll be to cold to play with it or I'll be bankrupt.
JP
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha