lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive clutch not closing gap

Hi, first time posting but I already owe this forum a big "thank you"! You helped me get an electric Club Car running with previous posts.

I'm now working on a 1990 EZGO gas model that stopped moving last year. I have fuel, air and spark, the engine does start. The problem is the drive clutch does not close the gap on the belt - no matter how hard you rev the engine. The side of the clutch that should be moving can be freely rotated with a hand and I can also move it in and out with little effort but does not move when the cart is in gear.

Is this something I might be able to fix myself? If so, where should I start?

No experience on clutches but willing to learn. Thanks in advance for your help.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drive clutch not closing gap

You'll most likely need to remove the clutch to fully find the problem. Not skilled on that year so prob need to search on clutch removal first.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for responding Mcdave. I did do some research but now I think I have a different problem.

When I took a closer look I saw that the clutch was actually closing on the belt. As the clutch engaged the belt, the engine was bogging down. I've discovered the back wheels are completely locked up. So, now I think that is the issue. Got dark before I could investigate further.

Any ideas on what might make both back wheels lock up?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Doesn't sound good.. I'd jack up one side at a time and see if you can get either wheel to move. That would narrow it down to one side or the other which would be an easier fix than if it's in the differential.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again. I did jack up the driver's side. That side is locked. Ran out of light -no garage in this location. I will jack up the passenger side tomorrow and see what I find.

Just a note: when this cart originally stopped running last year, the back wheels were not locked. We pushed it up a hill and then pulled it to its current location where it sat outside through a cold northeast winter. Could weather have caused something to cease up?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Robey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are the rear brakes locked up? That would be my first guess. Just a guess tho, easy enough to check. Hope this helps
Robey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Robey. I'll see what I find out tomorrow. Will let you know.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have seen them when they sit for a while the pad material on the brake shoe can come a loose and jam on the other shoe locking the wheel up. Did you try forward and reverse with the motor? If this was the prob the motor should have enough power to unstick it.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Scud
Not Yet Wild

The cart was facing a tree so mostly I was trying in reverse. When I put in neutral, couldn't push out. First tried pulling with another cart and then with my truck. When I used the truck, the cart pivoted on the rear wheel on the drivers side and the front lifted and moved a few inches toward the drivers side. Stopped that of corse! No damage. I'll get it in the air later and see what I can find out. Really haven't tried to move in forward yet.

Really appreciate the help.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Scud
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I have verified that neither rear wheel moves. At my next opportunity I will take off the wheels to see what's inside.

Tags
drive clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO