lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
1970buick
Gone Wild

Default Marathon Input Shaft removal HELP

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to remove the input shaft from the rear in my 84 ezgo. I removed the seal on the outside and all the gears from inside and cannot get it out! Any ideas on how to remove it? Maybe hammer it from inside to push it out or vice versa???
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
1Speegs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon Input Shaft removal HELP

If it's the pinion gear in the rear end, there is a threaded nut on the outside holding it against the outer bearing I believe its a 1 3/16" nut but in order to remove it, all the gears and axle and tires should be on the ground with the e-brake on. then you can proceed to loosen and remove the nut. After that remove the axles and rear gear set then you may tap the pinion gear out from the front with a dead blow hammer. hope this helps.
1Speegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #3
Travman
Not Yet Wild

old post i know.... but does the nut turn left or right? about to put some big torque on it...
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Travman
Not Yet Wild

I have the same Cart. 1984 marathon 2pg. I'm assuming you found a way to loosen that nut on the input shaft... Just a pain. Got a big torque impact today going to crank on it. Thinking it actually loosens clockwise right?
Old 10-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #5
Travman
Not Yet Wild

Finally got it. If your nut has that crimped crown it might be causing you some grief. I ended up using a die grinder with a little cutting wheel to cut that crown off. Remove the exhaust and you will have enough room to work. Doesn't take long. After that i used my impact that has 600ft pounds of torque power and it spins off to the left. I was thinking it was left hand/reverse threaded for some reason but its not. Its regular right hand thread which means nut spins off counter clockwise. After that comes right out (assuming you removed all the gears out of diff.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO