lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anything to look for in the newer RXV with the 400cc Kawi engines?

There are a few points to consider with the 13hp, as KG mentioned above if it's prior to 2012, you have the Kawasaki clutches, which means it isn't a matter of IF but WHEN they will go bad on You (the factory actually came out with an add-on balancer for the driven back in 2010 but those are impossible to get ahold of unless You're an EZGO field tech) - The TEAM clutch replacements will all but kill your acceleration but give You a bit more torque, either way the 13hp cannot hold a candle to the 2008-down Fuji/Robins drivetrain (trust me I've owned and worked extensively with both) ... If You're planning on bypassing the governor on the 13hp, You'll HAVE to pull the rear end apart and remove the entire governor assembly, as the gears are plastic and like to "grenade" and lock up the rear ends at high RPM's (again, not "IF" but "WHEN") ... Also, the ignition design is hokey, the rev-limiter n these is set above the point of Valve Float, so removing the governor opens up an entirely NEW can of worms and as of now there is no easy fix for that issue either. The engine design as far as placement is a bit different too, and it's not uncommon at all to see the 13hp with replacement shrouds - it hangs down and is VERY prone to random stone and branch hits, which can and will shatter the plastic shroud and/or fan - luckily it's a relatively easy job to fab up a skid/protective plate. Take those factors into consideration, add in the fact that they (as a single-cylinder) run nowhere near as smooth as the older twins, and are considerably louder, and it's a really hard sell to justify popping the extra $ for one. Were it ME, based on experience, I would turn down two of the 13hp carts in lieu of a single 2008-down, unless of course I was going to flip them and buy or build myself a 2008 LOL.

Either way, going from a Marathon You're going to be happy at the outset - but there is SO much that needs to be done to the 13hp if You're not going to leave it alone and run it at 13-14mph governed, on-road or on groomed surfaces such as a golf course, that it's just not worth the headache IMHO. Add in the complete lack of performance upgrades, the additional cost, and there's MY answer to your question. Louder and nowhere NEAR as smooth or nice to drive, and there's a total "Deal-Breaker" ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ok, I won't be as "wordy" as somebody ^^^ but IMO all this depends on what you want to do with the cart. My 09 RXV has the Kaw with the Team clutches and I am so far happy with it. I have tweeked the gov but I have a tach and keep it at 4k or below. With me in it and a set of those sticks on the back will run 26 on 21in tires. I normally cruise just above 20. I'm good with that. Brew is correct in it is no screaming machine but I know that and don't ask that of it.

Results may vary.

kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

LOL - Yeah, I tend to overbuild my carts (and sometimes overstate my opinions) so occasionally it's easier for me to point out shortcomings when answering an objective question such as this thread poses ...

KG is correct in that if You are going to be prudent and reasonable with the cart, then the 13hp could in fact be just fine for You. I'm "That Guy" who puts 295 heads on 350's, messes with jetting, timing advance, speed gears, clutching, etc - I actually have a 97 TXT that will easily hit 40mph, but along with that comes a lot of suspension and steering work to keep the cart fun and safe to drive. My latest build is governed at 28mph right now, but in all honesty once the new engine breaks in I doubt I'll do any further speed mods until I completely redo the suspension and brakes because these carts really aren't built for that kind of speed, at least not safely.

Prob the soundest advice would be to suggest that You go out and follow up on as many ads as You can locally for the 13hp carts, take the time to go drive them and get a feel for 'em - and also test drive several carts with the "Old" drivetrain, with the goal of developing your own opinion.

You asked about "Red Flags" - so I gave the story of the ones I have personally seen and experienced, from there though, no one can tell You what cart You're going to be happiest with, that's a decision only You can make !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
dchance
Getting Wild

Yamaha

that is some pretty dang thorough knowledge there.
dchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO