lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #171
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging System Troubleshooting

Did You also check the charger receptacle negative wire to OBC input and the OBC negative output wire to Controller B- to make sure all connections are good and not corroded?

I assume there is only a single cable on the pack negative and that negative cable goes through the OBC opening to Controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #172
Banshee01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Did You also check the charger receptacle negative wire to OBC input and the OBC negative output wire to Controller B- to make sure all connections are good and not corroded?

I assume there is only a single cable on the pack negative and that negative cable goes through the OBC opening to Controller B-.
The b- from the controller to inside the obc is sealed.
The the negative cable from the charger to the obc is sealed also. I have no continuity on the obc input and output. Guessing the obc grounds during operation?

Yes there is a single negative cable from the batteries through the obc then connected to the controller.
Banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #173
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is an SCR device between the negative input and output of the OBC that controls the charging current.

The OBC does not look for any certain voltage to tell the charger to turn OFF, it uses the information it collects during discharge and it measures the charging current as it charges to make sure the pack energy has been replenished.

When the OBC is reset by disconnecting the batteries for more than 10 minutes, the information it holds for the energy removed from the pack is lost from its volatile memory so it cannot use the coulomb count charging method.

The first few charge cycles after the OBC is reset uses a dV/dT algorithm and tries to create a pack health "profile", once it thinks it can properly estimate the overcharge needed to bring the batteries back to full SOC it switches back to coulomb count.

In either case the charger will always come ON in "bulk phase" at full current and when the pack voltage gets to about 57v, the OBC starts to reduce the current and switches to the "Absorption phase" until it determines the pack has been charged, that phase can go up slowly to 65v or last 16 hours.

You mentioned the OBC and batteries are new so make sure there is nothing connected to the batteries (accessories, converters, etc) that may be affecting the OBC dV/dT calculations.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #174
Banshee01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
There is an SCR device between the negative input and output of the OBC that controls the charging current.

The OBC does not look for any certain voltage to tell the charger to turn OFF, it uses the information it collects during discharge and it measures the charging current as it charges to make sure the pack energy has been replenished.

When the OBC is reset by disconnecting the batteries for more than 10 minutes, the information it holds for the energy removed from the pack is lost from its volatile memory so it cannot use the coulomb count charging method.

The first few charge cycles after the OBC is reset uses a dV/dT algorithm and tries to create a pack health "profile", once it thinks it can properly estimate the overcharge needed to bring the batteries back to full SOC it switches back to coulomb count.

In either case the charger will always come ON in "bulk phase" at full current and when the pack voltage gets to about 57v, the OBC starts to reduce the current and switches to the "Absorption phase" until it determines the pack has been charged, that phase can go up slowly to 65v or last 16 hours.

You mentioned the OBC and batteries are new so make sure there is nothing connected to the batteries (accessories, converters, etc) that may be affecting the OBC dV/dT calculations.
Ok so maybe after a full cycles it will be normal and register? I mean my bars go down when I drive they just havent gone up after charging.

The only thing wired to the batteries is the 48 to 12v converter for the lights, horn, etc.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #175
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't know the exact meter you have, but terms like "bars" are subjective to the meter type and accuracy.

Most of those meters need to be exposed to the actual charging voltage to reset, typically they don't reset to full until they sense at least 56v for a few minutes.

It should be a 3 wire meter so make sure the correct lead is connected to a constant (not after the key switch) voltage location.

A digital voltmeter and observing the voltage levels I mentioned would be the best way to verify proper charging.

You can disconnect the batteries for 10 minutes and connect them back without the voltage reducer.

Plug the charger and let it finish the cycle, older batteries may require more than one dV/dT "baseline" cycle if the OBC estimate on the next "coulomb count" charge was not accurate.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #176
Banshee01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I don't know the exact meter you have, but terms like "bars" are subjective to the meter type and accuracy.

Most of those meters need to be exposed to the actual charging voltage to reset, typically they don't reset to full until they sense at least 56v for a few minutes.

It should be a 3 wire meter so make sure the correct lead is connected to a constant (not after the key switch) voltage location.

A digital voltmeter and observing the voltage levels I mentioned would be the best way to verify proper charging.

You can disconnect the batteries for 10 minutes and connect them back without the voltage reducer.

Plug the charger and let it finish the cycle, older batteries may require more than one dV/dT "baseline" cycle if the OBC estimate on the next "coulomb count" charge was not accurate.
I just have the generic oem gauge like the 2 other club cars here. 2 wire. I believe one to the controller and one to the solenoid on the same terminal as the pack positive cable

I have driven the cart twice and charged it twice. The batter gauge bars have only gone down never up after charging still and the charger is still putting out about 10amps when I come in.

I would imagine the controller is supposed to unground then ground the gauge causing to reset to full bars.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #177
Banshee01
Not Yet Wild

Good news. I have just charged the vehicle for the 3rd time and the battery gauge reset. It must be like you said it takes a few charges to build a profile? Have to see how it goes tonight but the charger was off and everything when I came in
Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #178
gpmclaughlin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a 2001 DS 48V Club Car that was giving me fits when it came to charging recently. The batteries would not recharge after use. The OBC would not reset unless I left the batteries disconnected ALL NIGHT - EVERY night. So I ended up buying a new OBC for $273.00 and replaced it myself - not really knowing if that would solve this particular problem - but it did. The old (original) OBC looked burned in two places (see picture attached) but the fuses were never blown.
OBC.jpg

OBC2.jpg
gpmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #179
Jessepointer1019
Not Yet Wild

Hey everyone! New here, so please excuse any dumb questions that I may have. So I have a 2006 Club Car Precedent. So recently a wire came loose from behind the dash and sparked. Cart wouldn’t move at all. So I ordered a Navitas Controller and I was back rolling again. Anyways, I go to charge it, check on it later and I can smell the batteries cooking (stock obc and charger at the time). Voltage was reading on the cart at around 65. I needed new batteries anyways, so I bought all new batteries, bypassed the obc and bought a Summit 2 charger. Well, I check On it tonight, didn’t really smell anything but noticed some leakage and voltage at 60. Summit Charger was showing 99 percent charge in phase 2 for the longest time (could be normal but I’m new with the summit charger). I’m assuming that this isn’t normal, but wondering what else I could be missing or that I might need to replace? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Jessepointer1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #180
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

In my experience, that is normal for the Summit Charger. Make sure you have selected the correct charge profile for your particular batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car