lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Working on a 2000 Gas CC that Dies Out and Quits Running

Trying to help out an older lady in our Campground who has a 2000 gas CC. It'll run for a bit and then quit. It always seems that when I stop over after a day or so it starts right up and runs fine for about 30 seconds before it craps out.

I'm almost certain this is a fuel issue. Spark plug is dry when I pull it out after turning it over. Checked all the fuel hoses and even swapped out for an extra fuel pump and it still dies. When I pull the fuel hose off the carb it dribbles fuel when I hit the gas (was kind of expecting more pressure), and it dribbles the same amount with both of the pumps I tried.

I also looked under the engine at the rev limiter to disconnect it, but there's a short wire that looks to be tan that has already been disconnected, so I figured someone had already tried that.

I'm thinking it's carb related. I don't have time to pull her carb apart so she just asked if I could put a new one on it. I have a new carb ordered and will swap it on once it arrives.

Anyone have anything else I should check?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
jdgriner
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Working on a 2000 Gas CC that Dies Out and Quits Running

Take gas cap off, pull fuel line again... Does it dribble faster?

With starter fluid can you get it to run when it's crapped out?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jdgriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

If it's not the gas cap not venting, check the pulse line and make sure it has no droops in it.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriner View Post
Take gas cap off, pull fuel line again... Does it dribble faster?

With starter fluid can you get it to run when it's crapped out?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Meant to try the cap-off-the-tank thing when I was there last. Thanks for the reminder! Haven't tried the starting fluid thing but that sounds like it would be a good idea to really confirm fuel starvation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
If it's not the gas cap not venting, check the pulse line and make sure it has no droops in it.
I tried two different hoses in order to rule out any pulse line issues. Both were not droopy.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A 2000 should have a fuel shut off on the tank... make sure it's fully open!

Fuelshutoff .jpg
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I will double check that position for sure when I get out there sometime this week! I did see that shutoff, it was red and sat right on top of the tank where the hose comes out.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep!

040.JPG
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Ok I'm still wrangling with this thing. New carb installed and no change to the situation. When I arrive at the cart after a day or so it will start up and run great for about 30-40 seconds and then die out. Spark plug is not wet after turning motor for several seconds, so I'm still leaning towards this being a fuel issue.

The clear plastic fuel filters are never filled up completely, and when I disconnect the fuel line at the carb and turn it over, the fuel pressure seems weak, there's no spurt, it's more of a weep if anything. I have tried a second fuel pump and am still having the same results. I've also ran the cart with the fuel cap off to make sure the vent isn't the issue (I think the cap is vented, there's no other external vent). I also confirmed that the red fuel cutoff switch is all the way open.

One thing I noticed is that when I remove the vacuum line at the FE290 motor and turn it over, the nipple spews and blows a bit of air/oil out into the engine compartment. Isn't that nipple supposed to suck air in? Hence the reason we call it a vacuum line?

Also, I thought maybe the vacuum nipple was clogged, so I stuck a long hairpin down into it and it felt like I was sticking it into a piece of styrofoam or something just past the nipple. I'm about to go look at some motor schematics to see what could possibly be behind that nipple and if it should be there or not.

I'm about to rig up a gravity feed of some kind to give it a more consistent fuel supply to see if that's truly the issue.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
McPower Racing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Most often they will have a foam or mesh to help keep the oil in the sump.Sounds like you don't have good pulse at the punp, you should have a steady flow of fuel when you spin it over, are you sure the extra pump was good?
McPower Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
McPower Racing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

One other thing you could try, take a small remote tank and a foot or so of hose and see if it will run while you let it gravity feed, I.E. bypass the pump. Be very Careful, this could be very Dangerous if dunn incorrectly !!!!
McPower Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car