lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
bradbates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Worn out front suspension

Hi all. I have a 1987 Club Car DS Gas and the front end is SHOT! Not unexpected for a 30 year old cart that has had questionable maintenance. I can turn the steering wheel almost a quarter of a turn before anything happens to move the tires. It appears my issue is from the steering box to the front wheels. Steering box seems fine. Near as I can tell tie rod ends and every associated sleeve and bushing are worn out. I've looked for a complete kit and don't find any for this old antique. What I find are parts list but until I get her torn down I don't know exactly what parts will be needed. Any recommendations? I'm kinda leaning towards tear it down, make a list, wait who knows how long for the order to arrive and try to remember how it goes back together.

Thanks, Brad
bradbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Worn out front suspension

There's no complete kit out there I know of, but you can get the pieces you need once you find out which ones are bad. Usually the tie rod ends are the component that fails first. If you replace all three I believe that two are regular thread and one is reverse-thread. These frontends are pretty simple to work with.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
bradbates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's kinda what I thought Springbok. There's a GREAT deal of slop in both tie rod ends. Bushings and all that stuff have got to be worn too.
bradbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just replaced all the bushings and tie rod rod ends on my 01 and it was pretty easy. Since I didn't know what I was getting into, I printed off the parts list from the parts manual and yellowed out everything I needed to buy. I also replaced all my bolts with stainless steel bolts I found from a bolt company online. Oh, and if you do the kingpins, make sure they fit the new bushings! Otherwise, steering is next to impossible! Ask me how I know
Kim
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
ssupraman94
Not Yet Wild

sounds fun
ssupraman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

One other thing to consider. Are you planning to lift the cart? If so, an A arm lift kit will replace all the steering components except for the drag link and tie rod ends. Saving buying kingpins,ect that you will swap out anyways.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car