lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Is it worth a shot?

And just to confirm...

Key off
Tow/Run switch in Tow position
Unplug negative for 20min
Reconnect Neg cable
Connect charger and let it run it's cycle.

Sound correct?
That is correct and will allow the OBC to adjust to the current battery condition/state after a full charge.

Trojan also recommends increasing the charge voltage by 0.0028vpc for each degree below 77F, that refers to the battery temperature and not the ambient temperature.

I did a simple on/off switch on my OBC using two diodes in series to create a 20F lower temperature adjustment for charging.

It made the bulk-to-absorption voltage threshold change from 56.9 to 58.3v.

I only did that on the last winter before switching to Lithium so I have no long term data to know if it was effective.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Graph provided by Trojan but other brands of flooded golf cart batteries would be similar. FYI
Here is another question. If capacity is reduced by 20% for a giving temperature, would the voltage reflect that? So if a fully charged rested pack is lets say 60v would a fully charged pack then only show 48v reflecting the 20% loss?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

As per my post #6, in my experience, a low battery temperature does not affect the full charge stabilized voltage.

Does anyone else have a different experience with this?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind a 100AH battery and a 200AH battery have the same final voltage so I am not sure You would be able to see a reduced capacity based on voltage.

You may notice the SOC voltage will drop faster as you remove energy from the battery at the colder temperature just like the SOC drops faster if you discharge at a higher current rate.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #15
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Keep in mind a 100AH battery and a 200AH battery have the same final voltage so I am not sure You would be able to see a reduced capacity based on voltage.

You may notice the SOC voltage will drop faster as you remove energy from the battery at the colder temperature just like the SOC drops faster if you discharge at a higher current rate.
So based on that, a fully charged battery will have the same final voltage after a charge no matter what the temperature is but will sacrifice run time if it's cold outside, correct?

So when we are talking about capacity we are talking about run time and not voltage, correct?
Old 12-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Capacity refers to the number of AH you can remove from a battery so it is directly related to run time.

SOC is a relative measurement after a full charge.

The chemical reactions that take place inside a battery slow down in cold temperatures, that is good for storage (less voltage discharge) but not so good for driving.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
As per my post #6, in my experience, a low battery temperature does not affect the full charge stabilized voltage.

Over 20 years of golf cart ownership my experience is similar to yours.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #18
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Guess I will try an OBC reset and see if it changes anything. Everything was fine until the cold weather hit. Never had an issue like this with my last set of batteries which were US. My new set is Crown.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Over 20 years of golf cart ownership my experience is similar to yours.
I have over 25 (first was a '95 CC 48v which was a fleet of 12) and I haven't had to deal with the cold much (Florida), but when I would go hunting in the S.C., on the cold nights it charged, but never could last as long due to internal resistance. With nothing but a Powerdrive Charger in those days, I do not believe there was any way for it to do temperature compensation, but I did have several times the 16 hours window timed out due to it never completed the full charge cycle. Temps then were roughly mid to upper 20's.

But remember, an OBC has to see 53.8v or it will keep running until the 16 hour limit is reached. You could still show 50.9v the next day, but the finishing charge (topping off) may not have completed which was definitely the case with ours then.

So that's my experience and now we all have been able to share with the Op. so he is more educated.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #20
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

This is exactly what happens to me. Because my cart/s are used like a car and cover the same ground over and over again, I can see the battery capacity drop faster when cold vs warm. Carts rarely travel less than 6 miles at a time. (for context). Same happens when cart is loaded with 4 adults vs just me.

Over time capacity diminishes as the charge cycles build up also. No matter how good your battery maintenance is you only get so many charge cycles until end of life. I see this first when the chargers will no longer reach the peak voltage in their programing. Then I see more voltage sag when accelerating or going up a hill. Then range reduces significantly and when I can no longer go where I want to go without range anxiety I replace the pack with a full set of matched batteries. Over 20 years I get as little as 4 years and as much as 7 years from a pack. (2 carts) Mostly the difference is the number of charge cycles near as I can tell. Batteries have always been premium Trojans or Crowns. Never discharged below 60% based on voltage. YMMV
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car