lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default 2002 Workhorse 1200 resurrection

Been almost a decade since I've posted here, I've been bringing a Workhorse back to life over the last two years and figured I better make a showing. Progress has been slow, and I've been horrible at documenting what little progress I've made. Here it is the day I brought it home:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WORKHORSE 1.jpg (245.9 KB, 0 views)
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default Re: 2002 Workhorse 1200 resurrection

The seat assembly and dump bed were both rotten, and someone had crafted a homemade engine cradle with a Kohler engine that according to the numbers came from an older Cub Cadet riding tractor. Needless to say, it was in pretty sad shape. I pulled the driveline out and scrapped the seat and bed, found some minor rust on the frame but nothing that is structural (yet).
I went the VC route and installed a second hand HF Predator engine, and have spent the last year or so using it to move trailers around in the back yard. Here is the condition it has spent the most time in:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WORKHORSE 2.jpg (220.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #3
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

I'm currently removing body panels and preparing to make it one color only instead of the dozen or so coats of multicolor rattle can it currently has. When I first got this the drive axle was under the leaf springs making me assume the Workhorse/MPT/ST models were SOA as opposed to everything else I've seen. The more I've read here, I'm starting to think there is some home brew spring perch swap that I haven't noticed so far.
Also need to start looking for a seat replacement, my daughter says she doesn't want to rie for fear of getting a splinter (and I really can't disagree with her). This leads me to a couple of questions if you all don't mind, I've been searching but I need some final clarification.
Are the Workhorse seats and TXT seats the same? Or at least close enough that it won't look jury rigged? I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a new seat assembly and that's a sizeable investment for it to look out of place (otherwise I'd go the Bass Pro boat seat route).
Also, if I understand correct the lift kits for the gas and electric EZGO models use the same front axle, the difference comes in the orientation/mounting of the rear axle, correct? Since my rear looks to be lifted already I may try to find a second hand front drop axle so I can level this thing out.
I appreciate any input you all can offer, this place was an amazing resource when I built my G2/G9 many moons ago. Hoping to gain some knowledge and hopefully offer some in return once again
Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post
I'm currently removing body panels and preparing to make it one color only instead of the dozen or so coats of multicolor rattle can it currently has. When I first got this the drive axle was under the leaf springs making me assume the Workhorse/MPT/ST models were SOA as opposed to everything else I've seen. The more I've read here, I'm starting to think there is some home brew spring perch swap that I haven't noticed so far.
Depending on the model, some were constructed with axle under spring.
If it were originally axle over spring, there would be pins extending down from the bottom of the axle housings. You can look at the bottom of your axle to see if they ground out the pins. If not, it is probably stock install.

Also need to start looking for a seat replacement, my daughter says she doesn't want to rie for fear of getting a splinter (and I really can't disagree with her). This leads me to a couple of questions if you all don't mind, I've been searching but I need some final clarification.
Are the Workhorse seats and TXT seats the same? Or at least close enough that it won't look jury rigged?
Yes, same seats. I just brought life back to five workhorses/MPTs...I built seats for four of them...the last one is half built...a bit more labor to put in.
I used some 5/8" plywood I had laying around, bought some marine vinyl online for around $7/yard. Takes about a yard and a half to cover a bottom and a seat back, so not a lot of money in vinyl. Blind nuts for the hip restraints and to mount the seat back to the frame. Built some supports for the seat back for one of the carts out of length of rectangular steel I had laying around. Stretch and staple the fabric to the plywood over the old foam, and they looked great. Foam is the expensive part...I didn't have to buy any, so can't help you there. Without the foam, I didn't have more than $30 into the seats on any of the carts. Do you still have the plastic covers that go over the body to the left and right of the seat? If not, a typical seat will not cover this area.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a new seat assembly and that's a sizeable investment for it to look out of place (otherwise I'd go the Bass Pro boat seat route).
Also, if I understand correct the lift kits for the gas and electric EZGO models use the same front axle, the difference comes in the orientation/mounting of the rear axle, correct? Depends on the lift. Spindle lifts use the existing axle. Drop axle lifts are a new axle and use OEM spindles. Long travel and A-Arm lifts all replace the solid axle with an independent front suspension.Since my rear looks to be lifted already I may try to find a second hand front drop axle so I can level this thing out.
I appreciate any input you all can offer, this place was an amazing resource when I built my G2/G9 many moons ago. Hoping to gain some knowledge and hopefully offer some in return once again
See responses above in Bold. As for leveling it out...might just bet that the front springs are worn out and sagging.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Thank you for the input, your threads are part of what I've been scouring to make sense of what I have.
I built my Yamaha from two different basket cases and swore I'd never do it again. Apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet
Old 04-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Btw, I checked the axle and couldn’t find any signs of a locating pin or grinding on the bottom of the tubes. Looks like this factory, poking around the parts diagrams makes it look like a rear axle from an ST series cart. Not sure if this could have been swapped (certainly possible, this was really rough when I first got it) or if EZGO just switches/mixes and matches throughout production runs. Ultimately it doesn’t matter, but it’s always neat to learn new things you didn’t know before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22C1C9C2-1B29-445F-876C-1D84B9F07159.jpg (134.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

And just to give a current view of progress (or the lack of):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0A4006A-081F-40A7-A9C7-30BDCA1882BF.jpg (254.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8B9DC8FB-EC06-476F-BD04-971B3E971D57.jpg (225.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
supermotosean
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Well, ironically this cart is suffering the same fate as the Yamaha I built previously. I went looking for a parts cart to help build what I have and ended up picking up a cart in way better shape than what I started with. I brought home a TXT with the purpose of using the seats/front plastic etc. to spruce up the Workhorse. Got it home and cleaned it up and to my surprise was in very clean condition (guy I got it from pulled the electrical and mounted a HF engine with chain drive).
Long story short, I pulled the homemade stuff out of the TXT and swapped the driveline from the Workhorse into it. Gonna list my spares and what’s left of the Workhorse to see if someone can use what’s left (I’m starting to trip over parts, it’s time to purge).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO