lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Voltage regulator options ?

OK - Your old regulator needs switched 12 V. on the D+ terminal. If your r/w wire becomes hot when you press the foot switch with main sw. on, you can connect that wire to D+ and disconnect the brown wire. Or another option would be to use the brown wire for switched 12 v. on the D+ terminal and disconnect the r/w wire. If the r/w wire becomes hot when the switch is pushed, I'd use that one and tape up the the brown. The other two terminals are wired like I said in previous post. Let me know if you need instructions for testing the generator after rewiring. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When I say "hot" in previous post I mean +12 V. Not hot as in warm. - sorry!!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the electrical terminology for dummies.... I thought you ment the good looking wire !!!

By the wiring diagram the r/w is switched at the pedal and the pedal is switched at the main so I should be good. bye bye brown wire!
wharris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds good to me. Always nice to save $100 !! Let me know the outcome. - RAY
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

so could i run my current v/r without the brown wire?
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #26
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure about that !! I haven't been able to figure out what the brown wire does in the G8 & G9 cars. As far as I can see from the wiring diagrams, it supplies +12 v to the regulator via the starting solenoid (after it's picked up). I think +12 v. is also supplied to the regulator via the main switch and the accelerator switch on the r/w wire (but really not sure). Looks like G8 was the first year for the solid state regulators and Yamaha chose to have a 4 wire system which also carried on with the G9 model. The G14 changed to a 3 wire system (eliminating the brown wire) even though they use the exact same regulator as the G8 and
G9. If the r/w wire at your voltage regulator becomes hot (+12 v.) with the main switch on and accelerator pressed you probably can eliminate the brown wire and the voltage regulator will work. Like I said before I really don't know why the brown wire is there. For some reason the G8 and G9 wiring (Cunningham site) seem to be incomplete for the r/w wire wiring. The wirings don't show a r/w wire going to the voltage regulator from the accelerator switch. Maybe someone here can shed a little more light on it. Good luck - RAY
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Done and working fine. We eliminated the brown wire and used the old 3 wire style voltage regulator. Thanks for the info.
wharris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #28
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good to see it worked out for you. I recently got the G2-G8 wiring available on our site, and it does show the r/w wire from the accelerator switch to the generator circuit, confirming your findings. - RAY
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha