lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

Default Volts to voltage reg

I have a 1987 g2 gas that starts and run fine but will not charge. How many volts should there be a the R/W wire at the voltage reg in side. I'm geting 11 volts from r/w and green when running( unhooked from voltage reg). Also when you step on the throttle should it always be turning the generator over or should there be a "sweet spot".
jordan8801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Volts to voltage reg

Another thing that's odd is if I take my test light and go from +post on battery to R/W on starter solenoid I have power.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Smile Re: Volts to voltage reg

The R/W and grn wires, unhooked from the voltage regulator go to the generator field. The voltage regulator applies power to this field (R/W & GRN)to cause the generator to "generate" and charge the battery. The way this happens is as follows:1. R/W wire is connected to Battery plus through the key sw. & foot sw.( both must be closed for this to happen). 2. Grn wire connects to the voltage regulator and, when working properly, the voltage regulator connects this GRNwire to gnd (bat. neg.) which results in current to the generator field. This connection to ground is pulsed on & off by the voltage regulator to cause the generator output to be 14.5 to 15.5 volts (measured across the battery). So to answer your question, the R/W wire voltage should be the full battery voltage measured with respect to gnd. (bat -). The GRN wire voltage will be the pulsed voltage as mentioned above in 2. You should be making these checks with all the wires connected. You should be able to check the generator output pretty easily by connecting a voltmeter directly across the battery, then run the cart in neutral or with rear wheels lifted. Normal condition will be a voltage reading of 14.5-15.5 v. after running for a min. or so. If only reading battery voltage of 12.3 v. or so, you need to check if generator is functioning by applying full field current. This is done by connecting the GRN wire to ground (bat.-) with the cart running, and measure the battery voltage. The voltage reading should be high, in the neighborhood of 16-17 v. Only do this for a short time because of the high field current involved. If you do in fact get this high voltage reading, your generator is OK and the voltage regulator is probably bad. Sorry for the "long winded explanation", but that about covers it !! - Hope this helps - be happy to answer any other questions to help you find your problem. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

Thanks i'll test it in the morning. Still seems odd that I have power on all 4 terminals on the starter solenoid when using a test light from the positive side on the battery.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

"Sorry for the "long winded explanation",

I often go into lengthy detail when explaining troubleshooting procedures because I feel understanding the principle of operation along with test procedures will help when or if applied to other applications.
Knowledge never warrants an appology.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

Well said.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

TO JORDAN8801:I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the G2 cart. Do you have it also?? Anyway, if you put your test light on the battery +, then probe the 4 terminals of the starter relay, one at a time, this is what I see. One large terminal will have continuity to the battery minus through the generator "run field" and armature. The other large terminal is connected to battery plus, so there should be no continuity here!! One small terminal is connected to battery minus, so continuity here is normal. The other small terminal is connected to stop switch (which will become +12v when pedal is pushed) and it's also connected to the generator charging field, which is probably going to gnd (bat -) through the voltage regulator, so I would expect continuity here also. So, to answer your question, it does seem strange that you got continuity on all 4 terminals (where continuity on 3 seems normal). I would double check your results when probing the large terminal that already goes to bat +. (Bat.+ to Bat+ should not light the light). Hope that helped !!

P.S.- If you don't have the wiring diagram, just go to the stickies at the top and search for the wiring diagrams sticky to get one.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

Well did the test and the gen is charging. That test procedure should be in a sticky, real good and easy information.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So, what were the results of the test? Sounds like the generator is ok, but is the voltage regulator also ok, or what?? Where are you at this point? - RAY
Old 08-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
jordan8801
Not Yet Wild

I ordered a voltage reg. Now i'm going through the wire's trying to see why I have power to all terminals on the solenoid when key is off. There must be some type of short for me to get power between two positives. I'm thinking there may be some wires touching in the harnes somewhere.I've pulled all conectors and cleaned them. Also on the solenoid there is power at the termial that the R/W connects to. I f I unhook the R/W there is no power to the wire until I hit the start switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha