lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Can the Drive Belt tension be adjusted

Hi Everyone, Dumb ? time. Can I adjust the tension on my drive belt on a 96 txt. It's a pretty new belt has less than 1 season on it but it seems really loose I think the previous owner might have put the wrong length on it but I'm not sure how to check. When the engine is off I have 3/4" to 1" space between the belt and the shaft on the front pulley it takes about half to three quarters of the throttle before it even engages to start moving I have great top speed but the torque and low end is terrible at best.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Can the Drive Belt tension be adjusted

Doc, have a look in the "ez-go tech" section at the top of the ez-go ga section. you can get a shorter belt for better low end on these carts.
No, you ca not adjust the drive belt. If you have to run up to 3/4 throttle to engage, you either have the wrong belt or a clutch problem.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i agree the short belt did wonders for mine, it was slipping and i didnt know it. got 5 hours on mine and its just now starting to act right. the short belt makes it a bit harder to shift and stuff at first.
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys I just came up from the shop and your right no way to adjust it. How do you get the length measurement? Do I just run a tape all the way around or what?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

is it a stock cart? chart for dayton belts http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...dimensions.pdf i used a gates 6098. i think the stock is 41 1/2 and the gates is 40 3/8" cant remember for sure. a quick google search should find. if its not stock use a piece of string to get length
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
is it a stock cart? chart for dayton belts http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...dimensions.pdf i used a gates 6098. i think the stock is 41 1/2 and the gates is 40 3/8" cant remember for sure. a quick google search should find. if its not stock use a piece of string to get length
Thanks for the chart I found one I can use from it and now I am getting a new belt for My mom's since I can just take this chart to the Autoparts store and say cross this number!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm in the market for a shorter belt as well and this is what I have found:

Stock belt for my '99TXT is a 72054 which is 1 3/8" wide and 42" OD

Optional belts:

EZGO 22337-G1 = 41" OD
EZGO 27077-G02 = 40.75 OD
Gates 6098 = 40 3/8" OD

Dayco HP 2012 = 41" OD

Folks in other threads have suggested going to a belt that is 1" shorter than stock in length which would be the EZGO 22337-G1 or the Dayco HP2012.

I just called my buddy at Napa and gave him the Dayco HP2012 part # which he crossed over to the Gates 6098 and confirmed the OD length of 40 3/8". I'm hesitant to order the Gates since specs say it is 1 5/8" shorter than stock and yet others are saying it will fit.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I would really like to order the correct belt.

Thanks,
Mark
Marko44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Doc, one thing I don't like about Ezgo is the spring in the drive clutch that holds it open, maybe there for an application that needs the enging to idle.

You have to rev the engine to get it to engage, I removed the drive clutch cover and removed the spring and now it engages as soon as the enging rev up and very smooth.
On both my wifes cart and my Dads.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a gates 6098 on mine. 6 hours and it's just now acting right. Its pretty short and pretty hard to get on. But it does fit. It pulls much better than the worn stock belt. It runs pretty good. Oh yeah mine is a 99 or2000 txt. Can't remember. Would I buy it again? Yep
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
I have a gates 6098 on mine. 6 hours and it's just now acting right. Its pretty short and pretty hard to get on. But it does fit. It pulls much better than the worn stock belt. It runs pretty good. Oh yeah mine is a 99 or2000 txt. Can't remember. Would I buy it again? Yep
Thanks for the feedback 882001 - Should I assume you've had shifting issues for the first 6 hours or is there more to it?
Marko44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO