lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Drilling jet out

I've been following this thread & yesterday decided to drill the jet on my G1. I used 0.95 mm drill bit, put it back in & could'nt be happier. no more partial choke and it starts right up and runs great. 31 gps,18-9.50x8 tires & plowmans secondary kit, 4" homemade lift, duro tiller tires on back & carlisle badlands on front. I've thought about locking the rear end & was wondering how bad it would affect the steering?
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Raised ruckus
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Haha, yeah I'm gonna order a new filter soon, I mostly drive on street and grass out here on the river, well and mud but I'm gonna take the Carb off again and go next size bigger for the jet. But I just pulled the plug and its wet and black?
Raised ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised ruckus View Post
Haha, yeah I'm gonna order a new filter soon, I mostly drive on street and grass out here on the river, well and mud but I'm gonna take the Carb off again and go next size bigger for the jet. But I just pulled the plug and its wet and black?
After running it hard and no choke or idling it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
Raised ruckus
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I just ran it and pulled the plug, it wasn't wet but its still black, not as bad
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Go to a good Welding-Supplier and get a Pin-Vise Torch-Tip cleaner.They come with a selection of small drill-bits that work great for jets.Its' not bad to drill jets,99% are straight-bored.We used to have a friend who was a Jeweler,He would drill them and engrave the size on them after.It was great when the parts weren't availiable aftermarket.For tuning,watch the spark-plug coloring,and always run it as close to the same way while trying to narrow down a setting,so that your testing is consistent.You can also go up/down with Spark-Plug Heat-Range.This can be as drastic as jetting in some cases.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
bartmann
Not Yet Wild

Ive been building racing engines for 20+ years. I find it funny how much bad info gets around the net. Drilling jets is never the correct way. what you end up with is a jet thats mismarked and not the correct size. jet's are $5 why waste your time with a drill bit guessing ? buy three jets and be done with it and have it done correctly. also changing the spark plug range to get jetting to run right ..yea not a good idea .. the next post will be it ran great untill I burnt a hole in my piston .....

dont be lazy ... do it right the first time.
bartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
Raised ruckus
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I have already filed the jet 2 sizes with the file kit. Its just not running right unless I leave the coke open . Keep in mind im running a filter with no box. The problem is the plug is black, that means its choking out and starving for fuel right? What site could I get theses jets to save time? Or maybe try filing one more size
Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Black means you have too much gas, white is too little. Brown is rich, tan is little rich, light tan is ideal, some engines run very light tan most new engines I see seem to the EPA wants them lean as possible (check the spark plug photo charts on the net). You have to get it fully warmed up before you jet anything and run it hard then shut down quickly and check it, or your reading means nothing. Of course most small air cooled 4 stroke engines if you push them run the best a little rich.

I refuse to buy a jet for a small engine unless I have to. They tick me off, small engines should have a screw on the jet like they used to. Its not my fault there are people out there who can't set a carb properly so the epa outlaws them. Then any time something gets worn or leaks or you mod something you can't adjust the thing and it runs worse. I have a lawnmower once the throttle shaft gets worn a little it goes lean, it backfires and blows the muffler up, it runs like crap...because like most lawn engines its a junky old design made cheap. You have to spend a lot of money for a new carb and toss the old one in the landfill along with the muffler. Oh wait I should recycle it right, so what about the energy/pollution from making the new carb and muffler? What about my money I should not have had to spend? Nobody cares about that stuff. Sorry for the rant, but its bull.

I also think small engines should have efi, all this technology and nobody can figure out a cheap efi....its like living in the 50s. Pretty soon all cars will be DI and they wont use that ancient efi junk lol. On the other hand except for clones these small engines are a ripoff anyway, I looked up a 24hp and could get a hydro 48" rider for $300 more than just the engine alone. Why is that? They wonder why clones are selling like crazy, doh. Do people realize the vanguard started production 25 years ago? It is ancient and they still want 1500 for that old thing. Its a good engine but sometimes I don't understand things that get stuck in time I guess, or why they are worth much. Even NASCAR is dumping that old carburetor. One has not been sold on a car in the US in 32 years.

Sure I would buy jets for a performance engine, but a golf cart or lawn mower? $5? I can't see it. But the reason I never have is because I can file it out in a few minutes and get it running right, or I could drive 1.5 hours each way to town from where the carts are to buy jets that I don't know the size of. The clone I nearly doubled the size of the jet. In fact I got it too big the first time and did buy a new jet, and hogged it out smaller. My test driver didn't warm it up each run.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #29
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

To go back to what I said about drilling jets.If you buy a proper drill set,measure the bits,you then know what you are ending up with.Yes if you are racing full-time,or even a weekend-warrior,a jet-kit is priceless.But if you are just trying to fine tune a small single-cylinder,low-power motor,there is nothing wrong with drilling a little,try it,go up again,until you narrow it down.Plug-range is your fine-tune once you get the jet close.I've been in racing from Go-Karts to Stock-Cars & Drag-Cars my entire life.My Dad was teaching me tuning on our Karts when we were 7yrs. old,so that we could tell him how it was performing.I'm 40 now.Yes you can cause damage,if you don't read your plug and use your head.Just my 2-cents.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Raised ruckus
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Very well said guys so from what your saying is black means to much fuel? Does that mean the jets to big now? I recently by passed the governor and ran the pedal to the carb, could that have alot to do with it? I need to check tomorrow to make sure I didn't tighten the cable to much which making the Carb flood and bog the cart, but again it runs good on choke. Hmmm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha