lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
dcdoc45
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 Starter/Gen problem

I have a G2 that runs fine once started. The issue is getting the starter to turn. when you push the accelerator pedal, you can here the selonoid click everytime, but sometimes, nothing happens with the starter, or you can here it whine, like it want to start and after a few seconds it will turn the motor over just fine, other times it won't do a thing. So, I have to let my foot off the pedal and the selonoid clicks and the starter will work just fine. I have checked all wiring, fuses, and put new brushes in the starter. The other day I got the motor running, went down the road, and pulled off to the side and let a car pass. It would not spin the starter no matter what, I looked under the "hood" and the negative battery cable was smoking hot, and the cables from the selonoid to the starter where also smoking. It has to be an internal short with either the selonoid, or the starter. Also, new battery.

Help!!!
how do I test this thing!!
dcdoc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Starter/Gen problem

Clean all your connections all they way from the battery to the starter/gen. These models are notorious for this type of behavior and it usually ends up being a bad or dirty connection. My G9 does this almost every year after it sits for the winter.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If its not a connection then it may be the brushes in the gen. Mine will get dirty cables and post connections, but only that connection will get hot. If the whole cable is warm you might have a short or bad brushes.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
If its not a connection then it may be the brushes in the gen. Mine will get dirty cables and post connections, but only that connection will get hot. If the whole cable is warm you might have a short or bad brushes.
Yes, could be this too. Thanks sho...

Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
Yes, could be this too. Thanks sho...
I'd say bad connection for sure, mine has done it a few times even when it looked clean....but hot cables means current is going through a restriction. If the entire cable is a restriction then it is shorting, otherwise heat will only be at the bad connection. Mine normally does nothing it goes dead after the click and nothing works.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Almost every season, I'll hook the bush hog behind the cart, head up the hill and about the third turn when I stop to head up the last hill, my cart will not start back up. Almost the same area every year. I get out of the cart, pull cables, clean them, and off I go again....

Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Mine will be fine and I get on one time and poof, nothing works at all. The last time I got angry it kept doing it. Cleaned the posts and clamps twice and still did it. I filed the battery posts and the inside of the cables...that took care of it lol. But now that battery died I need a new one for this year.

Oh ah, a new battery to go along with my new 420cc clone lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha