lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Transmission Drive Gears

Alright gurus.....by now you may have noticed I'm knee deep in a transmission rebuild. I finally got it together and have yet another problem. I have the cart on stands with the brake drums off because the brakes are stuck. I put the wheels on to run the cart just to make sure that the tranny works right. In forward it revs up good and the wheel speed looks correct but when I let off of the gas there is a grinding sound and the wheel speed slows. This continues until the wheels slow and then the gears seem to re engage. All of the shims and play through the tranny seems correct. I'm obviously missing something. Could this have something to do with the shift indent ball? I originally set it to the measurement prior to disassembling the tranny but tried to adjust it in and out to see if the problem stopped. The shift cables haven't been changed either. I I'm running out of options. The shift cables have not been changed either. Any input is always appreciated
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Transmission Drive Gears

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to see this completed correctly, or I may put a for sale sign on the cart.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Is the noise coming from the driven clutch perhaps?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I hope not. I replaced the secondary and the helix due to damage from the input shaft going bad. I watched the clutch function while running the cart and everything seems to be fine. I'm really lost. I'm thinking about tearing the tranny down again to see if something else is wrong.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I forgot to mention that while the cart is up on jack stands I ran the cart. When the noise started I let off the gas and stopped the drivers side wheel which also stopped the secondary. The passenger side wheel would continue to spin and the noise would continue until the wheel stopped spinning. So I don't think it's the clutch
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I forgot to mention that while the cart is up on jack stands I ran the cart. When the noise started I let off the gas and stopped the drivers side wheel which also stopped the secondary. The passenger side wheel would continue to spin and the noise would continue until the wheel stopped spinning. So I don't think it's the clutch
Wheel bearings?
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the secondary stopped turning and the tire was still spinning....I'm guessing it's something with that axle, possibly a broken axle or the input where the axle connects to the trans. Sounds like that axle isn't connected to the differential? Something broken there would cause that wheel to spin while the differential is not moving.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I found out what it was. In rebuilding the transmission, I put the shift shaft in and had it in the reverse position when I put the transmission side cover on. I ended up taking the tranny apart again to inspect for damage. When I reread the repair manual, it said to engage the shaft in the forward gear to assemble. The tranny cover went on easier, and I got some forward motion. I adjusted the shift indent ball in a small amount more and now the cart seems to act normally. My next issue is while I was driving the cart, the drive clutch broke throwing a weight and 2 teflon buttons into the cover. With that, the outer sheave side where the weights are cracked from the outer lip to the center hole. I put a pump of grease in the clutch prior to my test drives. It was the original clutch that was refaced and rebuilt. I don't know if the added power from the hot set up just pushed the clutch too much, or what happened. So I had a CPP clutch overnighted because Thursday I'm leaving for a camping trip with the cart. This has been quite a project but I'm pretty sure after the new clutch I'll be set to go.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Glad you figured out the trans issue. The clutch....sounds like it was cracked already. They don't just break, unless it got damaged from the trans issue? Sounds like you are well on your way
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I thought that I was on the way. It seems that the gears jump after making a turn. I noticed that the passenger side axle has some play in it, indicating that the axle bearing is bad. I'm going to replace both sides and the seals. when I had the tranny open, I inspected all of the gear teeth and the axle splines for obvious damage. If the bearings aren't the problem, I guess I could remove the axles and measure the splines for uneven or excessive wear. maybe there is excessive movement of the axles in and out causing gear and spline misalignment. does anyone know what to check for to test that idea? Any ideas what the splines should measure? How difficult is it to remove the axle bearings? i'm going to search the site for more information, but any input is always appreciated. I didn't see a crack in the primary prior to it breaking, but with the refacing of the sheaves maybe that affected the sheave material.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha