lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Charger

Is ok to leave the battery charger plugged in all the time or should I unplug it after the charging cycle is complete? My bass boat has deep cycle batteries for the the trolling motor and I have a fully automatic onboard charger for them. The cart owners manual states that the charger is fully automatic as well. What is the right thing to do to get the best life and performance out of my batteries?
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery Charger

Depends on what voltage of cart you have and the type of charger. Is it 36 or 48? All CC 48v chargers are automatic, while some 36v chargers are and some have a manual timer.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that you have a 2002. If it's the factory Powerdrive charger, it's ok to leave it plugged in.

to BGW
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the response. From what I have read I thought that was the case just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

ok guys here is an oldy but I am sure a goody. I am pretty sure I read an answer to this question but I can't find it. The charger that came with my 2002 Club Car DS is not shutting off automatically. I have measured the battery pack voltage @ just over 58v. I think I read that 58v is the minimum the OBC needs to see to shut the charger off. How long should I leave the charger running to see if it will eventually shut down? I would hate to damage the batteries. I performed the OBC reset procedures and read a post from "Sergio" that the reset can be verified by the battery warning light coming on the first time the cart is driven. Mine did not. does that indicate that my OBC is defective? Any help and or advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

The charger should shut off after 16 hours no matter what happens. If it doesn't, the OBC may be bad.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Jake. I guess I should have mentioned my cart has a 48v 6 battery setup. Is there any danger of damaging the batteries ? The charger is only showing a 3 to 4 amp draw right now. Thanks for helping out a newbie cart owner.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok so it is in the final stage of the charge cycle. How long has it been on?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

To be honest off and on for probably four hours yesterday and about three hours today. Until I had more info I was afraid to leave it on too long and I have tried the OBC rest procedure several time as well. I see you have the same cart I do. Anything in particular I should look out for ? I am also having a power/speed issue. The cart accelerates great but only gets up to about half speed. I replaced the speed sensor with no results. The cart still fails the speed sensor test outlined in several of the posts I have read on the forum. Any ideas in that area?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

This is a tough one. I would've done what you did and replaced the speed sensor. Does your reverse buzzer work? If so, does it beep when you push the cart during the speed sensor test?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

yeah the buzzer works but does nothing when I push the cart. I started a different thread on the issue and have gotten some great advice from David Hicks. Unfortunately nothing has resolved the issue thus far.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car