lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
84marathon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1984 marathon carburetor

I recently got a 1984 ez-go with a robin 244 cc engine. It ran fine for a while, but now it won't run on its own. The starter motor turns it over, but I can't get it to rev up. I replaced the fuel pump with an electric one because it was barely pumping, but am still getting the same behavior. I took off the carburetor and cleaned it including the bolt at the bottom of the bulb. When i took the bulb off the sprayer fell out of the hole that the bolt came from. It appears to have had threads at one time but now it is mostly smooth. After replacing the carb There was no change, it runs off the starter and will sometimes sound like it is trying to rev when i peg the choke open quickly. If anyone has an idea of what my problem is, your help would be most appreciated. I will try to post additional details with images soon.
84marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
84marathon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 marathon carburetor

My summer Project

Engine Compartment with the carburetor removed.

Carburetor dismantled.

Sprayer with worn threads?

Does anyone know what is supposed to be attached to the brass nipple in front of the word "choke"?
84marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

I had problems with mine too, it wouldn't run without me pulling 1/2 choke all the time. With the wheels off the ground or the drive belt off try to start the engine with it running spray the throttle shaft with carb cleaner and see if it smoothes out and runs good. If so then replace the carb with a new one. I got mine from site sponsor www.everythingcarts.com they price was good, shipping was inexpensive and the follow-up customer service has been fantastic.
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you ever figure out where the hose from the needle labeled choke goes?
landers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=84marathon;249089]I recently got a 1984 ez-go with a robin 244 cc engine. It ran fine for a while, but now it won't run on its own. The starter motor turns it over, but I can't get it to rev up. I replaced the fuel pump with an electric one because it was barely pumping, but am still getting the same behavior. I took off the carburetor and cleaned it including the bolt at the bottom of the bulb. When i took the bulb off the sprayer fell out of the hole that the bolt came from. It appears to have had threads at one time but now it is mostly smooth. After replacing the carb There was no change, it runs off the starter and will sometimes sound like it is trying to rev when i peg the choke open quickly. If anyone has an idea of what my problem is, your help would be most appreciated. I will try to post additional details with images soon.[/QUO

GTM it says here he already replaced the carb.... Sounds like the issues may be deeper. However, i do agree to spray to see if it picks up the run time... I wouldnt overspray though, the bearings need to pick up oil from the mix so a little dab'll do ya...
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
bauschracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just went through similar with my 87. Cart was given to me after sitting on it's side for 3 years. Started with carb. clean , new fuel and new battery. added fuel pump (hey it was only 35 dollars) Found a weak spark. Added G.M. HEI ignition and accel coil. I got it running some then it quit and did not start. Pulled the motor and found the head was loose. I took off the jug to check rings since I was already there. They looked good and measured within spec.
Put all back together and 125 PSI compression. Still will not run and little fuel pressure. Tore back down and the flywheel seal was blown out from the backfiring. All back together tonight and will reinstall on Sat.
Check compression and blow smoke down the h-o-l-e under the fuel pump and look for smoke at the clutch and around the fan.
Mike
bauschracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1984, carburetor, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO