lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
RayBruno
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What to expect if I lift my cart

So I purchased my first cart a couple weeks back and been doing some basic work on it...new air cleaner, new muffler, front support for the seat....ect. I got it mostly as a little summer project to do with my son but the more I read on here the more I REALLY want to get into it and do some modification. I am thinking about lifting it at some point but before I do I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I live in Colorado so I figured I want to lift it to get some more clearance so I can take it out on some mountain trails.

If I was to lift it what else do I need to do to it because of the lift?

Will I need to lift the engine as well?

Is there any loss of power or torque because of bigger tires?

Will the robin 295cc 9 horse be a powerful enough engine or should I plan on upgrading?

Anything else I am not thinking about?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
RayBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What to expect if I lift my cart

These are great questions. I would like to add, How badly is your center of gravity affected? Is it like driving a jacked up truck, lowered feeling of stability on turns?
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a definite loss of torque with the bigger tires. A shorter belt can help. Considering the topography of your region I would only consider the outback with a big block

A quality lift will widen your stance to help with the stability issue.... And of course the higher you go ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I have lifted several with 5" lifts and 22's, plus 6" and 23's, I have had no trouble, but not going to climb a mountain with 9 hp, I also only do later models with strong motors, what year is your ezgo?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
RayBruno
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I THINK it is about a 91 TXT. I say THINK because when I bought it there was not a body with it and I cant find a serial number or model number stamped on the frame anywhere. I posted some pictures on here and people were telling me it looked like a 91. It has the Robin 4 stroke 295 in it and the steering colum is mounted to the frame, not down lower near the front axle.

Really not planing on going UP mountains....just some dirt trails IN the mountains.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Ray,
Welcome to the addiction. Good luck on your project.

Lifting the cart doesn't do so much, other than make room for bigger tires. But the increased diameter of the tires raises your drive ratio, which requires more power to move the same cart as quickly. It also raises your final speed. So it goes faster, but takes longer to get there. You can do a number of things to improve that, CPP has clutch springs that help quite a bit, backing the governor off a bit, engine mods, engine upgrade, gear ratio change, etc.

And just not installing giant tires. I went with 20" for just that reason. Their not as big as I'd prefer, but I go faster than the others in my neighborhood. My old Marathon does 20 - 23 mph depending on how loaded down we are.

Type of lift kit is another detail you should consider. The basic block lifts many of us use are fine if all you want is room for tires. But they don't improve articulation or suspension travel in the least.... which are definitely things you would consider if your on many mountain trails. There are independent a-arm style suspensions for these carts that will improve this a lot. If your the creative type, then modding an old ATV front suspension may do the job. Or there are bolt on kits too.

The bottom line is it all costs money & time. Good luck with it. The group loves to see pics of your mods so get your camera ready. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBruno View Post
I THINK it is about a 91 TXT. I say THINK because when I bought it there was not a body with it and I cant find a serial number or model number stamped on the frame anywhere. I posted some pictures on here and people were telling me it looked like a 91. It has the Robin 4 stroke 295 in it and the steering colum is mounted to the frame, not down lower near the front axle.

Really not planing on going UP mountains....just some dirt trails IN the mountains.
Your chassis is a lot newer than a 1991... It has the later 2001.5 & up steering (steering rack mounted on axle)... Look on the top of the rear frame rails over the rear axle, EZGO began stamping a serial number there on the later model carts..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
RayBruno
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Opps.... I always do that. I said 91 but meant 01...sorry about that.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
TCruz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I climb hills all the time in mine. I also have the 295 and I had installed the shorter belt. Found out a couple weeks ago that I also have the 28 degree clutch. So after founding out I had the 28 clutch I put the stock belt back on. Didn't climb good with the stock belt and 28 clutch. So having said all that; it will do what you want with a 28 degree clutch and a shorter belt. I have actually been going up some pretty steep hills and felt like the cart was going to flip over backwards!
TCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Hey Ray, doesn't that tag with the bar code on it (that's a little fuzzy in your pic's) say "date code" on it some where?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO