lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 36V No Go

Ok, i have looked and nothing to be found... unless i missed it... anyway.. I have a 36V ezgo here that is not moving when i press the electric pedal. i have been testing and testing this thing for hours. I removed the pedal from the cart completely, tested the microswitch, jumped the microswitch, tested the keyswitch, jumped the keyswitch, same result. i replaced the controller that i know works, replaced the solenoid with one i know works, new batteries fully charged, no go. now, there is no activity from the solenoid when the pedal is pressed, but if i jump from the battery + to the + side of the solenoid (small terminals) and activate the solinoid, i can press on the pedal and the cart goes. ive been over and over with the diagnostics on this side. if anyone has any suggestions, please!

Kevin
itstheburns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V No Go

Year? Model? System?

Reed switch if so equipped??? Seems you've ruled out just about everything else.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

yeah that stuff is important huh, haha, its a 1996 txt i believe, could be a medalist model D0396, im unsure about a reed switch, where its located or what its purpose is.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Reed switch~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3541.jpg (76.6 KB, 26 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

ok now this is making more sence. i am going to assume that the low current side of the circuit gets +36v from this switch?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes it is a magnetic safety switch, just bypass it but, in the future, loop your charge cord thru the steering wheel so you do not drive off with the charger plugged in
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Yeah seems to be the problem. I have bypassed it and its working good. I had an idea that that wire was for the charger. I know with club car, its power to activate the relay in the charger. I had a few issues with carts not charging because someone had cut that wire. So thinking it was the same thing for this application threw me off... 9hrs later lol. Thanks for all your time! I cant tell you how much I appreciate it!

Kevin
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

If it were me and I was repairing this cart for someone else I would replace the reed switch versus a bypass or at a minimum get a disclaimer signed by the customer that repairs haven't been completed. I know the reed switch is a fairly pricey item, but hey, it's cheaper than a charger and I wouldn't want to get that phone call after the kid or whomever drives off with the charger dragging behind the cart by the cord.

Your call tho'.

Glad you found the problem.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
If it were me and I was repairing this cart for someone else I would replace the reed switch versus a bypass or at a minimum get a disclaimer signed by the customer that repairs haven't been completed. I know the reed switch is a fairly pricey item, but hey, it's cheaper than a charger and I wouldn't want to get that phone call after the kid or whomever drives off with the charger dragging behind the cart by the cord.

Your call tho'.

Glad you found the problem.
you do realize that as of 2005 model run, E-Z-GO itself stopped using the reed switch and was actually installing the bypass in the vehicles themselves on every car that rolled off the factory line right? The switch was a faulty idea from day 1 and I remember many a day cussing those things when doing service at the golf courses.

As others have said, glad you found the problem as it can be extremely aggravating when you know everything is working yet the car itself doesn't run.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO