lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Difficult start, sort of

It does not matter whether you will remove it at the carb side or the pump side. Your problem if you remove the fuel line at the pump side is gas will spill out and you have no way of catching it!

If it starts when you remove the fuel line, that means your float setting is not correct. Lower the float level. Remove the carb, open it up and adjust the float level.

I had exactly the same experience with my 1996 EZGO Workhorse. Nobody could tell me why it was like that. I solved it by accident... in the manner I described above.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
If it starts when you remove the fuel line, that means your float setting is not correct. Lower the float level. Remove the carb, open it up and adjust the float level.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. If it starts and runs, I'll just need some instruction on float adjustment.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

Also what might be wrong is your fuel cap. It vents the tank basically and there may be to much pressure in the tank. That problem happened to me before. Next tim you go out, ride it, and when you say it doesnt start, unscrew the gas cap, and try to start it up. See if that does anything. Also, when you say it doesnt start, put a new plug in, your plug may be to hot.
ezgo hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
reinman88
Gone Wild

Just got home and tried to start it after sitting all night. Took the fuel line off at the pump. Held a plastic pop bottle under the pump to catch the gas.

Touched the gas pedal and it started second try. Let it run for a little bit and shut it off.

Quote:
Also what might be wrong is your fuel cap. It vents the tank basically and there may be to much pressure in the tank.
I'd thought of that because it started acting up after I put some gas in it. Thought maybe I tightened the cap too much. I loosened it up some and the problem was the same.

I did see a little gunk in the bottom of the tank, and some of it made it to the fuel filter. I thought maybe something was caught in a carb jet or something like that. Remember I am not a mechanic. But then I thought if that was the case, it should act up all the time, not just some of the time.

So since it started without the fuel line hooked up, it sounds like float level.

I light of the fact I've never taken a carb apart, is this something I can fix myself? On my pickups I've changed starters and put on front brakes, but can't say I've done anything enginewise. Other then change oil or plugs and stuff like that.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
ezgo hot rod
Getting Wild

What you need is a good carb cleanin, and adjust the float level. If you don't have a manual, and are ineperienced with carbs, i suggest you dont attempt it. Let the shop do it. U dont wanna mess it up.
ezgo hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
reinman88
Gone Wild

I've been thinking about it, and it's possible it's been doing this all along. When I got it, it was cold and muddy around. So most of my driving had been back and forth between my daughter's house and mine, which are only about 100 yards apart. So basically I never did take it on long rides. Only last Friday was it dry enough I took it to the river, which round trip is a couple mile drive. The thing is I can't remember what I did after taking it to the river Friday. I may have just parked it for the day. Saturday was the first time it acted up after going to the river. But it's possible that was the first time I'd had the cart in that particular situation.

When I bought the cart last month they changed oil, new plugs, new belts, and new filters. But I don't know if they did any carb work. I'll be stopping back on Friday to pick up the new shorter belt I ordered. At that time I'll find out if they did any carb work. Maybe I can get them to fix it quick if I bring it down next week.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

is their suppose to be a check valve on the end of the fuel pick up in the Gas tank?
jkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

no check valve
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #19
reinman88
Gone Wild

Haven't done anything with this as of yet. Keeps snowing every other day and staying cold. But I have been doing some more thinking on this.

Quote:

I take it the theory is, first thing in the morning after sitting all night there is enough gas in the float chamber so the cart will start even with the gas line off.

But shouldn't that be the case anyway? Shouldn't there be gas in the float chamber all the time, and wouldn't there be enough in there to start the cart at any point in time, even with the fuel line removed?

Now remember I'm no mechanic, but it seems to me it's almost the opposite. In the morning and at most other times there is gas in the float chamber so the cart starts normally. But take a long drive and let the cart sit 20 minutes and it starts hard, like there isn't any gas in the float chamber so it takes more tries, which eventually pumps enough gas up to the carb to get it to start.

But if that is the case, why is there no gas in there after long rides?

Could engine heat have something to do with it since this only occurs after long rides?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

I guess it could be a lack of fuel, but probably not if you let it set overnight and it cranks without the fuel line attached. This shows that your carb is storing a good bit of fuel in the bowl. He's thinking that your engine is flooded(too much gas forced into the engine) after the longer runs when it gets hot. Therefore, flooding the plugs. I'm no expert, but I think another way to test it if your unsure is to examine your plugs after one of those long runs when it's having trouble starting. If they're saturated in fuel, lower the float in your carb as suggested. If they're bone dry, your theory is correct.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO