lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Difficult start, sort of

Talked to my auto mechanic today. He said the flooded part may be it. He suggested the next time I run it long to get it good and warmed up, and let it sit for 20 minutes, open up the seat and see if I get any black smoke out of the muffler when it does start.

We also discussed the possibility that the very steep hill I go up may be dumping float chamber gas into the carb. He said he couldn't be sure of that one since he hasn't seen the placement on the engine.

This would also cause the flooding problem, right?

Also he gave me another couple possibilities. Maybe it isn't a gas problem. The only time I have a problem is when it's warmed up good, and has sat for a while, which would build up a little more heat.

How about a weak coil or ignition module? Both of which could act up when hot, but work work properly at other times.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you tried my suggestion yet? Start the cart first thing in the morning and it starts right away or maybe after a couple of tries. Then stop the engine and let it rest for, say 5 minutes. It wont start. Right? Remove the fuel line and start the engine. It will start! Now you wonder...how come? As I said, just adjust your float level.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
Have you tried my suggestion yet? Start the cart first thing in the morning and it starts right away or maybe after a couple of tries. Then stop the engine and let it rest for, say 5 minutes. It wont start. Right?
In an earlier post, I believe on page 2, I did say I tried your suggestion and the cart did start first thing in the morning with the fuel line off. Which is what you suggested in your first post. But the first time you suggested this, you did not say anything about going back in 5 minutes and seeing if it will or will not start. So I didn't do that.

Quote:
Remove the fuel line and start the engine. It will start! Now you wonder...how come?
The first time you said go out first thing in the morning, unhook the fuel line, and try to start the cart. If it starts without the fuel line it is a float problem.

Now it sounds like you want me to start the engine in the morning like normal. Wait 5 minutes then go back out and try to start the cart. If it doesn't start right away, then unhook the fuel line and try it again. Is this accurate? Or do I unhook the fuel line the first time I try?

Quote:
Now you wonder...how come? As I said, just adjust your float level.
So are you saying when the cart is warm and after a 20 minute wait the cart is flooded so it starts hard, but by the next day it is fine? And this is why the float level needs to be changed.

Appreciate the help, but I'm just wondering what is wrong. I understand you're saying a float level adjustment will fix the problem, but is the problem flooding?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. It's like this. Start it first time in the day whether morning or afternoon. Run the engine for like 2 minutes. Then stop it. Let it rest for, say 5 minutes. Start it. If it wont start, remove the fuel line connection to the carb. If it starts, then you have a problem with the float level. The float is set too high allowing a lot of gas to accumulate beyond the level required. That was my finding with my own 96 workhorse. Since the float was I adjusted, I never had a similar problem. I use my cart in the golf course where stop-go driving is normal.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #25
reinman88
Gone Wild

I'll give it a try when I get home this afternoon.

I'm thinking if my cart was used normally on a golf course you may never see the problem. Stop and go with stops of no more then a few minutes and the problem never shows up. We'll see what a couple minutes of running and a 5 minute stop will do later today. Thanks.

Oh I forgot to mention. Earlier this week I called the dealer where I got the cart to see if he had in the shorter belt I ordered. I knew they did a tune up on the cart before I bought it, and put in new plugs, filters, and belts. He said they did go through the carb at that time.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
reinman88
Gone Wild

Ok, started the cart and let it run for 2 1/2 minutes, then shut it off. Came back 5 minutes later and it started first touch of the gas. Let it run for 2 more minutes and shut it off. Came back 10 minutes later and it started first touch of the gas.

I'm guessing it needs to run longer and get the engine hotter for the problem to come up. Which might bring us back to the coil or ignition module which don't put out as much spark when hot. Or maybe we could be looking at some sort of vapor lock that occurs if the carts sits a while after running for a long time. The 15 or 20 minute sit might give it time to build up some heat that is not there with just a minute or two stopped after a long run.

The temp today is in the upper 40s so that may make some difference as far as heat buildup is concerned.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
reinman88
Gone Wild

Took the cart for a long drive, the same distance as if I was going to the river, which is when I had my problems. Let the cart sit 20 minutes and tried to start it. Had to touch the gas 3 times to get it to start. This is better then when I had the problems last week, but it is also 20 degrees cooler outside. So if engine heat is part of the problem, that might explain why it was easier to start then when it was warmer outside.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #28
doozerann
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My 93 will do that when the battery is low, might want to check voltage, thats eazy enough.
doozerann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thought I'd give anyone that was following along an update.

Talked to one of my customers that runs the service department for a car dealer. He said vapor lock, and told me to quit using ethanol gas.

While the temps have not been real high, 50s and 60s, I have had no problems the last three or four times after a long run and a 20 minute wait. Since I had the problem with temps in the 60s and 70s, I'm thinking we may have solved the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO