lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 91 Marathon Suspected rear end problem

Hello all,

I have what I think is a 1991 EZGO Marathon. It was running fine then then as I was going up a hill I lost power. It felt like I was spinning on the grass but the wheels were not moving. I put the cart up on jacks and with it running the wheels move with enough force that I could not stop them with my hands but when on the ground the cart will not move. The engine is starting and running fine The belt appears to be in good condition and both clutches seem to be operating correctly. I am wondering if I've stripped something in the rear end. I've posted a video with what the belt and clutches look like when it is running the wheels are on the ground.
If anybody has any thoughts I'd appreciate knowing what you think.

Thanks,
Josh
jstarsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 91 Marathon Suspected rear end problem

Welcome to BGW

sounds like you have a striped brake drum/hub, when you are running the cart, make sure you block up the tires, so the cart can't take off and hurt some one or you, ( safety ), now you need to be able to see the castle nut, in the middle of your brake drum on the rear of your cart, if there is a dust cover you need to remove it to see the nut, when the cart is running, you need to see if the nut is spinning in the middle of the brake drum/hub, if the hub is striped it needs to be replaced, make sure you clean the spline on the end of the axle real good before installing the new hub, you need to torque the axle nut to (100 to 150# ) when replacing the hub, and if you can't get the pin back in the axle, do not back off on the nut to get the pin in, tighten it more to get the pin in the axle
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Rib, Thanks for the info I never would have thought of that. I would have been pulling the rear end apart. I'll take a look at that and see if it is indeed the issue.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
rib33024

So what was the problem??

is it running yet, let us know
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The problem was indeed a stripped brake drum. Replaced it and was on my way. However at some point the hose on the output of the oil pump blew off and it ran for a bit that way ,at least 3 short trips, before I noticed. Engine is still running no funny noises but it feels like its not pulling hills as well. Going to do a compression test soon.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

throw that oil pump away and plug the line to the carb or insert a small bolt in the manifold. then just premix at 128 to 1. much safer
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I will go with the premix. I did a compression test it was 90 psi. Which if I understand correctly is at the low end of still being usable. The cart still runs ok, it sounds ok, just not pulling big hills as good as it used to.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

you're right. 90 is low. i would run it a while with the premix and then check again. if it didn't run too long w/o oil you may be ok. a top end rebuild (if the crank spins freely) should fix your compression. if the cyl is not scored and you have no more than .0007 clearance you can just replace the piston and rings. good luck
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO