lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
johnlem1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Drive clutch bolt

I broke the bolt (not with impact) but broke it nevertheless.
johnlem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Is any of it sticking outside the shaft?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Assuming you are going to have to use an EZ-OUT to get the remains of the bolt out. You will need a good sharp center punch. Hopefully it's not broken off at an angle because that presents another problem. Soak it best you can with PB Blaster. Get a dimple with the punch. It is important to be in the CENTER. Please note that ordinarily I would suggest using left hand drill bits to get the hole in the bolt. If the bit binds in the remains of the bolt you run the risk of driving it in further. In this case, a regular bit won't do that and if it binds may even bring the bolt out. Use the highest quality bits you can find for the EZ-OUT you use. Also cutting oil is a must. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
johnlem1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My heel is sore from kicking myself for not re-reading the instructions regarding left hand thread. I am going to wait until I have the new bolt to attempt clutch removal. I will use the cart every day until one of two things happen. Either the clutch falls off or I get started on clutch removal. I can only hope enough of the thread is sticking out to try vice grips once I get the clutch off. But in the event of having to drill it I was curious if anyone else had encountered this and what they experienced. I have easy outs but they won't work on a left thread. I see that the new bolts come pre-treated with blue loc-tite and am concerned that the old bolt did as well. First off, the bolt appears to be a grade 8 and drilling it will certainly be a challenge and 2nd, I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out if it doesn't come out while drilling.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Never had to use one, but I assumed they made extractors for this situation.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #16
johnlem1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did find that I had another set of fluted extractors that are supposed to work on right or left threads.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlem1 View Post
I did find that I had another set of fluted extractors that are supposed to work on right or left threads.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:38 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the bolt broke off flush use a small cut-off wheel or dremel to just cut a straight notch across the center of the stub. Use a flat head screwdriver to turn it out.

As for removing the clutch, the regular clutch removal tool will probably not work as they’re meant to go l the way to the bottom of the pilot hole in the crankshaft. But you can make a shortened clutch puller yourself with the proper sized grade 8 bolts.

You can also wait until the motor is cold, pull the outer clutch sheave off, and apply some heat (propane torch works well) to the center post of the clutch. It will cause the clutch hub to expand and usually a light tap with a wood block will pop it loose from the crankshaft.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If the bolt broke off flush use a small cut-off wheel or dremel to just cut a straight notch across the center of the stub. Use a flat head screwdriver to turn it out.

As for removing the clutch, the regular clutch removal tool will probably not work as they’re meant to go l the way to the bottom of the pilot hole in the crankshaft. But you can make a shortened clutch puller yourself with the proper sized grade 8 bolts.

You can also wait until the motor is cold, pull the outer clutch sheave off, and apply some heat (propane torch works well) to the center post of the clutch. It will cause the clutch hub to expand and usually a light tap with a wood block will pop it loose from the crankshaft.
Fairtax, shouldn't the bolt part that came off be a good clue as to how much is in there? I know he won't know for sure until the clutch comes off.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #20
tony357
Not Yet Wild

if you do not mind pulling the engine, you can use gear oil and bolt to remove the clutch, this is how I removed mine. flip engine on its side fill bolt hole with gear oil use bolt and impact wrench run the bolt in and the hydraulic pressure will pop the clutch. took me two times I used small block chevy flywheel bolt 7/16-20 x 1 inch.

your going to need 1 inch space for bolt to run in.
tony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car