lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
JeepinJeff
Not Yet Wild

Default 198? runs but won't drive

Unsure of the year. The Ezgo website said it was an invalid ser#. Ser#I have is 390998. Mfg code is C0886. It is a 2 cyl motor. Pretty sure I wrote that down right but It's 100 miles away and I won't be able to check until this weekend.

Press on the gas and it idles in either forward or reverse, but at full throttle it just sounds like it is idleing and won't start to drive. Sometimes if I stand on the pedal long enough, it will run. We've also been able to push it a couple times and it seems to catch and go. Once it is going it seems to run and drive ok ) a small backfire issue and the thing doesn't run slowly enough for the campground I'm in, but that's a problem for future discussions )

Where should I start?
Thanks,
Jeff
JeepinJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 198? runs but won't drive

Welcome to the forum, herein you will find the answers to all your cart problems. Well without actually hearing it I am willing to bet the farm that your engine is not starting. The little 2PG engine cranks at quite a high speed and can sound like it is running but it isn't. I suggest that to start you buy a new plug (once a 2 stroke plug craps out it very rarely cleans up). Replace the air filter and the fuel filter. Then get back to us if it still doesn't run and we can get you fixed.

BTW you have a 1986 Marathon (just like mine so we can agree that's the best year). It is a 2 stroke, not a 2 cylinder and as such you must use 2 stroke gas /oil unless your oil pump and reservoir are still connected and functioning. If you are premixing the correct ratio is 128:1 (one ounce of oil to one gallon of gas)

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
JeepinJeff
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave, My coffee hadn't kicked in yet so I meant 2 stroke. Knowing the year now, it will certainly help a lot. My oil pump and reservoir seem to be working ok since the cart was running ok previously and it was taking the oil.
Where's the best place to get the filters and plug? Is that something that can often be purchased locally or will I need to go online.
Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I get my stuff online and I like to patronize the sponsors of this site. My favorite is www.everythingcarts.com but you can look around and see which suits you best.

Dave
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
JeepinJeff
Not Yet Wild

Headed there now. Thanks again. The cart is sitting on a campground spot so I won't be able to play with it again until this weekend. Will let you know what I find. Just downloaded the service manual thanks to this site. That should help to.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
JeepinJeff
Not Yet Wild

Put in the new plug, air filter and fuel filter and she is back to running again! It's like a new cart!
Thanks Dave!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Gotta love a story with a happy ending. Happy trails.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO