lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
ranger230man
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 Workhorse 1200 Backfiring

lots of useful info on this forum, hoping I can find some pointers on a backfiring issue that is appearing after about 20 mins of running and when you begin backing off the throttle. I took the carb off and cleaned/adjusted it (the best I could). I've noticed a little gas in the air intake right as it goes into the engine.

Thoughts/suggestions?
ranger230man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 01 Workhorse 1200 Backfiring

Needle and seat may not be sealing completely and letting too much fuel in. While it is running under load it will just burn it, when you let off, the extra fuel gets dumped into a hot muffler and there is your backfire..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
ranger230man
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Needle and seat may not be sealing completely and letting too much fuel in. While it is running under load it will just burn it, when you let off, the extra fuel gets dumped into a hot muffler and there is your backfire..
thanks, what's the correction a new carb?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would try a good cleaning first. What I do not know but I am sure somebody will jump in is if the seat for the needle is replaceable. Also like I said in my post, this was a suggestion for a cure, it may not be the cure. It may also be the throttle plate may not be closing completely when you take your foot of the gas. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
ranger230man
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I would try a good cleaning first. What I do not know but I am sure somebody will jump in is if the seat for the needle is replaceable. Also like I said in my post, this was a suggestion for a cure, it may not be the cure. It may also be the throttle plate may not be closing completely when you take your foot of the gas. Good luck and keep us informed.
what do you recommend for cleaning it?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger230man View Post
what do you recommend for cleaning it?
I use carb cleaner and a stripped bread tie
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

You should try adjusting your linkage at the butterfly on the carb.... Even if the needle isn't sealing, proper butterfly adjustment should close off air and gas flow to prevent the backfire. Check out the tech section for adjustment. When you let off the pedal the butterfly should be closed completely to stop backfire or detonation when you let off the accelerator.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
ranger230man
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
You should try adjusting your linkage at the butterfly on the carb.... Even if the needle isn't sealing, proper butterfly adjustment should close off air and gas flow to prevent the backfire. Check out the tech section for adjustment. When you let off the pedal the butterfly should be closed completely to stop backfire or detonation when you let off the accelerator.
I'm not coming completely off the accelerator though, just from full throttle maybe back to 3/4, wouldn't the butterfly still be partially open anyway?
Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I got'ya... Hearing that, you might want to look at the valve adjustment. If the needle isn't sealing in the carb. you would probably see some gas running out in excess.
Hope this helps.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
ranger230man
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
I got'ya... Hearing that, you might want to look at the valve adjustment. If the needle isn't sealing in the carb. you would probably see some gas running out in excess.
Hope this helps.
thanks, the cart sat up for a couple years and I half attempted to clean it when it was off. It runs a lot better, just the backfire on occasion. I put some seafoam carb cleaner in the gas today and going to see how that does.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO