lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Engine Went THUNK!

Do you have the Flywheel off?
Sounds like you might have tangled the mag/stator up under the flywheel.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The big end is probably welded to the crankshaft which is what happened to mine. The good news is that this will not affect spliting the crankcase. The bad news is that you will undoubtedly need the complete overhaul kit which runs at ~$400. When I did mine I also took the opportunity to replace the carburetor and now the engine runs like it is new (which of course it is).

Have you removed the clutch and the flywheel yet? Both require special techniques as well as some blood, sweat and tears. If you need help shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Flywheel is off and so is drive pulley. Made my own stuff and didn't even require learning new words.

Glad to hear I can split the case. Gonna do that today, I hope. I already figured on a whole new setup for it. Going to buy the fuel pump too just for giggles.

Thanks again guys!

Regards, Jeff
Obee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got my case apart and the crank bearings were shot. Couple of questions:

1. Is there suppose to be gas in the lower end? I had about a cup or so in there.

2. The bearings on the crank were sealed bearings. Do they need to be open?

3. The case has a crack in it, know where I can find the fan side case half? Might be able to have it TIG welded. I assume the case needs to hold some pressure?

4. What kind of sealer should be used on the case halves?

Thanks!

Regards, Jeff
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Obee,

I can answer some questions for you:

1. There should be some gas, as there needs to be a fuel/oil mixture in the crankcase to lubricate the bearings. A cup sounds a bit high, but the crack in the case could contribute to this as depending on your fuel pump, there could be fuel sneaking back down the suction line.

2. Uhhhh, Dave?

3. Wow, that's a toughie, as the case does need to be air tight for the crankcase pressure to drive the fuel pump. I guess welding could work, but it it must be an airtight seal, or not interfere with the mastic sealing the case halves together.

4. I believe the guys who cracked their cases use a Permatex Gray mastic

Best I can do for you Jeff, and I'm sure Dave'll be around to straighten me out if I told you the wrong thing.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #16
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Appreciate the reply! Just trying to get things in order when I get my parts it can go together.

Thanks!

Regards, Jeff
Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Everything that Scooter said, plus if you go here

http://thegolfcart.blogspot.com/sear...&max-results=7

and scroll down you will see the re-build kit and the three main bearings which are clearly open. Perhaps someone fitted the wrong bearings (the size is generic so this is a possibility) and thus your problem.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

the bearings are not sealed. they are lubed by the oil/gas mixture. is the rod moving on the crank? if it is, and you can't feel any up or down play it should be ok. i bet you can weld that crack up just fine. any sealer will work as long as it is gas resistant, altho the permatex is nice because of the color and was made for this type of case--i.e. motorcycles.
be sure to replace both crank seals while you are in there. you also need to correct the gas problem. probably a bad fuel pump, but not sure. dave or brew will jump in and answer that.

if you replace the top end, run 40/1 for the first tank and then 128/1. good luck.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got it welded up this afternoon, gonna be just fine. I figured they needed to be open for the lube factor, just checking cause mine were sealed and I too thought that was the problem.

Going to do the whole kit top and bottom, all seals and gaskets, don't know the history so I will just do it all and be done with it. Going to add new fuel pump to the list as well as carb. Hope it will run for a long time.

I am also going to fab up a different intake system from where it draws it's air. Right now where I live the course is always very dusty and it seems to like to draw the dust up off the ground from the front tire.

If anyone has any other suggestions to do while it's apart I would surely entertain their thoughts. Don't want to do it again for a while.

Thanks!

Regards, Jeff
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Jeff, As for the remote air intake, I got a small shop vac from a yard sale that was broke for $2.00.
I kept the flex hose to make a remote intake and a couple of the ends to adapt the air filter canister to and threw away the rest. Hoping to mount it to the seat back or up the top strut.
Just throwing out Ideas, Shop vac, old house vac hose, old pool vac hose maybe?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO