lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Delayed Backfire

I have finished a repair, one week ago, on the cheap. My older st 350 workhorse had a broken connecting rod and the piston was broken on the skirt. Replaced the two parts in question, only those parts. everything else was in good to great condition, after polishing the crank journal which wound up .00021 under the 1.377 mean dimension. After a good cleaning on the parts and put her back. The little Robins runs great, strong no smoke, dependable, choke it once in the morning then just touch the gas and your purring the rest of the day. One hickup, I am hoping one of the real mechanics ( I cant unless there is a shade tree) can enlighten me. I run pretty hard to the mens club (the local country store) for coffee early in the morning. When I shut it down, I have a backfire between 5 to 8 seconds after the engine has shut down. I feel it runs to well to be a timing issue, I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance "God Bless"
mandoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Delayed Backfire

Make sure that your throttle butterfly is closing 100% at the carb (not on the stop screw) when you let off of the pedal. When you release the pedal it kills spark at the plug, any opening in the throttle will allow fuel to be drawn into the cylinder and exhaust when the engine is stopping and there is no spark.
Try slowing up a bit before you get to the club to allow the engine and exhaust to cool some before you shut it down.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now that is logical, thank you Crash. Another thing if you could please tell me, I didn't think it was related but in the course of trouble shooting, the lack of power problem, I put the one inch shorter belt on. Which in retrospect did help the low gear ratio. The gas pedal seems really touchy, in that I have problems going slow enough. (I have some rough stuff to go through and I prefer to "creep"). My gas pedal is at the top of the movement, and I'm constantly fighting the micro switch / speed. When I slow enough the motor will shut off, as it restarts the drive clutch will engage and lunge. The belt has loosened and it will allow the clutch to slip at this point only on a hill. I didn't realize this as an issue until I drove my buddy's. His cart will start, idle and not reach rpm to kick in the driver till you have moved the pedal about an inch and a half. His setup is so much more comfortable to operate. Now that I think about your reply to my post, these two could defiantly be related. As I check the throttle body, is there something else I should check, like the position of the micro switch? Is there an adjustment that would change the rpm's / gas pedal position? I can move my gas pedal slightly over an inch and reach top speed. My governor is working well I can floor it and it will burst the power then level off. Going up hills the governor will kick in the cart will slow and stay in the power curve, it all works great just sooo touchy. It clocks at 23 mph on flat and level. Thanks in advance, God Bless. Sam
Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Yep Sam, It is all related and an easy fix but the one inch shorter belt has nothing to do with it.
Your carb butterfly is either held open by the throttle stop screw or is opening before the start microswitch "clicks" and engages the starter.
First, make sure the throttle stop screw is not holding the throttle open when not pushing the pedal, if it is screw it out until it is not touching it.
Next, Under your seat on the drivers side you will find a black plastic box, remove the one screw in the middle of the lid.
You will see a cable coming from a cam, that is actuated from under the box by the pedal rod, You need to adjust the cable so the carb butterfly starts to open just AFTER the micro in the black box "clicks". Make sure your key is off so you can hear it when you are making the adjustments.
You might also need to fine tune it but that is the basics of it.
After you get it where you want it, screw the throttle stop screw back in until it just touches the arm.
You might loose a little top speed but you gain low speed control again.

yea, it's long winded but I like people to understand how things work instead of just saying "loosen the cable"
Old 09-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you Crash, you are awesome! I cannot wait to try it out! Hurry up daylight LOL. I'll let ya know what happens! BTW. I appreciate the fact that you are long winded enough to clearly communicate.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Great answer Crash. Mandoman, your post gave me a big smile this morning as it reminded me of a scene from Uncle Buck. Enjoy your cart.
Dave

Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, I remember that scene, insanely funny! Crash your the man! My cart is a rock crawler now, and with the short belt modification, just to see, I pulled a full size chevy pu around the property. I might add, you were correct, the top speed did suffer a bit, but I did mod. #2 that came from a mechanic in Jackson Ga. I took some plastic washers (from Lowes) cut a slot in em just smaller than 1/4 inch, put em in front of the spring that controls the governor, the one that sits on top of the rear end. The stack size was 3/4 inch. What this did was increase the rpms of the governed engine speed. I havent clocked it yet but the little engine sounds close to the same rpms it ran before the adjustments. I tell you it is soooooooo sweet! I have it set where you hit the gas pedal and the gen/starter motor will engage, it will not start at that point, move the pedal another 3/16 to 1/4 she will crank and sit there and idle, another 1/4 and the rpms will engage the driver clutch, punch it and it'll throw gravel. Going back down the driver clutch delays release just enough to still be engaged while almost back to idle,this gives me the setup I need and want. I always thought I wanted a RTV........... nope give me this little ride any day! You guys are AWESOME! thand you , thank you, thank you! God Bless

BTW Crash you were dead on with the backfiring, the engine idle screw was set terrible high, I turned her back down to a slow idle. No more popping and cracking going on!

Last edited by mandoman; 09-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: forgot something.... and thats nothing new.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, I read my post again and your correct it is colorful. But I tell ya, round here its, God and our Ole Ladies #1 , Coffee and Bud's #2, Picking Bluegrass and Loving our Country #3, there wasnt a number 4, till Obama got elected............... thats all I'm gonna say bout that. God Bless
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
rocko
Gone Wild

Did you get the backfire problem fixed -------I seen the delayed backfire on my riding lawn mower and it was a sheered keyway ---------- it scared the crap out of me a few times , about a 3-4 second delay , you could killl it , get off and take a step or two and "BAM" , sounded like someone took a shot at you
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

mandoman; BTW, Crash you were dead on with the backfiring, the engine idle screw was set terrible high, I turned her back down to a slow idle. No more popping and cracking going on!

Yea, he got it........
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO