lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2- stroke question

I was just wondering what's the difference between the 2pg and 3pg engines and also do the newer engines run both directions or do they have a foward and reverse trans? Does the 3pg have any more power, and what is the cc's? Just trying to figure out if there are any other options for my 84 Marathon.
sandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2- stroke question

The 3PG had a larger carburetor and a modified exhaust manifold which increased the output from 9hp to 11hp. In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history. The '3pg' engine has the spark plug turned upward, and the whole engine is rotated such that both clutches face the driver side of the golf cart. This rotation allowed for the differential to be changed from a hypoid gearing to a more efficient helical gear design, a change that persists to this day. The lay-down style golf cart muffler for the '3pg' engine is in front of, and slightly above the engine. The piston is about the only part that works in either engine. The crankshaft & clutches, the exhaust system, the carburetor, air intake & control cables all changed. So unless you also changed your rear axle you cannot fit a 3PG to your cart.

As there is no reverse gear (the 3PG works just like your 2PG) you options are limited unless you are willing to forgo reverse. In that case you are only limited by the depth of your imagination and the breadth of your wallet.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

Now I'm confused, does the 3pg runs both dirrections? You said it runs like the 2pg so why couldn't I just mount a 3pg the same location as my 2pg and still have reverse?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes the 3PG runs backwards for reverse like the 2PG however the 3PG was rotated so that EZGO could use a helical differential. The orientation will be 90 degrees out.

Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks for the info!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

dave, the pistons are different. one has 1 hole, the other has 2. sot of like in anatomy.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

What is the power difference between the two? Would it even be worth the effort to try and swap a 2pg for the 3pg?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Madoc, you are of course correct. I think the extra port was to help deliver more fuel to the cylinder. As the displacement of the two engines is the same I think the piston will physically fit, now we need a brave soul to put a 3PG piston into a 2PG engine and see if a) it runs and b) if it increases the power. I guess that you could have some fum taking your EZGO to a dyno test station. I wonder if the scale reads that low.

Sandman, I answered the first part of your question in post #2 and the second in post #4

Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, sorry bout that! I think I'm going to look a different direction for and engine upgrade. I am thinking of an atv engine and suspension swap. I would really like to be closer to a UTV than a golf cart we have some sandy trails close to here and I want this thing to be able to climb the hills. Thanks for all the info and I will try not to ask anymore redundant questions.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
sandman1
Not Yet Wild

ok here's a question I'm certain I have not asked yet. I pulled out my engine yesterday to replace the crank seals but I can't get the clutch off of it. Are there any tricks to removing it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO