lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
TimJohnson13
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Universal Turn Signal Wiring Questions

Hello all - just signed up but have been on here numerous times since I bought my cart! Thanks for all the awesome info.

I am hoping someone can lend me some advice on wiring a universal turn signal kit. I have aftermarket lights on my 2007 EZGO txt, so there is no wiring harness for the universal turn signal kit (TSG UNV BU).

Here is where I get confused:

1. My taillights have three wires coming out - black, white and red. There is a connector just before the light - there are only two wire going into this connector as the black and red wires have been spliced. Do the turn signal wires for the taillights replace the black, red, or white? Or both the red/black?

2. I could not find a ground wire for the lights in the dash so I tied the white wire (ground) for the turn signal kit into the ground wire I ran for my stereo system. Are there any issues with this?

3. The wiring instructions explain that I can tie the red (positive) wire with a fuse into the current light switch mounted in my dash. There are 2 red wires running to the switch; I assume 1 is constant power and the other leads to the lights. How can I tell which one to splice the turn signal power wire into? Does it matter? If it's constant power the turn signal kit needs could I just tie into the positive wire I ran to the stereo?

Thanks to everyone!
TimJohnson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Universal Turn Signal Wiring Questions

Welcome hang in there some one will be along in a bit as this has been covered before. Have a GREAT Holiday.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
notagolfer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson13 View Post
1. My taillights have three wires coming out - black, white and red. There is a connector just before the light - there are only two wire going into this connector as the black and red wires have been spliced. Do the turn signal wires for the taillights replace the black, red, or white? Or both the red/black?
You did'nt say if you had a brake light switch. This would change things a bit but should be covered with the instructions that came with your turn signal.

With out the wiring diagram a few assumptions will have to be made. With three wires coming from each of the tail lights and assuming there is only one bulb per tail light, a dual filament bulb would be used. From this we can conclude that one wire is ground and the other two are the positive leads for each filament. Because there are only two filaments the brake/turn signal would be combined to use the same (brighter) filament (while braking both lights would be on - with the turn signal activated one or the other would flash on/off). The other (less bright) filament would be used for tail lights (running lights).

So the wiring could be something like this:
- White (from your description, most likely the ground wire)
- Black (tail lights)
- Red (brake/turn signal)

Quote:
2. I could not find a ground wire for the lights in the dash so I tied the white wire (ground) for the turn signal kit into the ground wire I ran for my stereo system. Are there any issues with this?
No

Quote:
3. The wiring instructions explain that I can tie the red (positive) wire with a fuse into the current light switch mounted in my dash. There are 2 red wires running to the switch; I assume 1 is constant power and the other leads to the lights. How can I tell which one to splice the turn signal power wire into? Does it matter? If it's constant power the turn signal kit needs could I just tie into the positive wire I ran to the stereo?
Yes one wire is hot and the other leads to the lights. A cheap circuit circuit tester will make things a lot easier for you. If you don't have one it's simply a matter of determining wich one is hot by tracing the wire back to the battery and/or lights. Wiring to the stereo may/may not change how the turn signal works. Depends on whether or not each is wired into the starter switch.

Hope this helps a little.
notagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
TimJohnson13
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, that does help a ton. Thanks so much!

I unfortunately do not have a wiring diagram of the light installed - they came on the cart. Although your description sounds accurate. I also do not have a brake switch - I just taped off that wire from the turn signal.

I will try connecting the red wire from the brake lights to the turn signal and see what happens. I will also pick up a circuit tester - I probably should have done that a long time ago.

Will let you know what happens. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
notagolfer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

TimJ,

Did your turn signal come with a flasher ? The reason I ask is some units ship without it. The on/off flahsing of the lights will not happen without the flasher. You could always just manualy move the signal arm back and forth - j/k :D.
notagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
TimJohnson13
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Haha yes it did come with a flasher. I have the black and blue wires from the turn signal going directly to it, and the red power wire from it - just didn't know where to attach it! I am going to try and hook it up correctly to the light switch.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
TimJohnson13
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick update: I finally got the positive and negitive wires hooked up along with the brake lights. With the lights off, both front and rear lights are flashing. However, when the lights are on, only the front amber lights will flash with the turn signal.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this migh be happening?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Tim Welcome to BGW this might help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunsignal-diagram.jpg (28.8 KB, 32 views)
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
TimJohnson13
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info! I have several of these wiring diagrams floating around but all get a little vague when it comes to specific wires and where they need to go. If anyone else is interested, I'll throw up the wiring diagram and instructions that BU sent me.

I have isolated the + and - wires... the red is positive and the white is run to the negative. The remaining wire is black which is what I hooked the turn signal up to. The picture is of the wiring harness on the taillights - if that would help clarify what I am seeing.

The flashers work fine until you turn the headlights on, then the taillights quit flashing. Not sure what I have done wrong!

Couple different opinions here - the instructions mention connecting the turn signal to the lead wire... would this be the red positive wire? If thats the case, what would the black wire be for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harness.JPG (327.1 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSG UNV 2463K Universal Turn Signal Wiring Kit_1007.pdf (379.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by TimJohnson13; 12-23-2011 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

do you have the tail lights grounded good? grounds can give nightmares
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turn signal problems, wiring questions
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO