lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Cleaning the two halves of the motor

My motor is gunked up with grease and dirt. I'm in the proces of tearing it down now and have it split so now is the time to do something if I'm going to do it. I was wondering what is the best way to clean it? Can I take it to a car wash and use engine degreaser? I have access to a bead blast machine which will clean it very good but it will also take any finish off of it so it will need to be repainted. Would having it bead blasted hurt the two halves?

Thanks,
Matt
mattpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cleaning the two halves of the motor

A parts washer is the ideal thing. I wouldn't use a bead blaster personally because of the mating surfaces and the bearings. The pressure washing would work but it would be a pain. Other than that, get some cheap shop towels and brakleen and start cleaning it up. Hope this helps....
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I'm with EZ GO GO don't use blasting media you need a good fit on the crankcase halves. I can also advise you from bitter, bitter personal experience under no circumstances should you use the dishwasher. It does a terrible job but does leave a nasty oily residue inside the dishwasher that lasts for eons. The effects on my martial pleasures, however, have lasted until this very day.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Degrease with a good cleaner

Put into dishwasher for final clean and dry......dedicated dishwasher for parts
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
mattpatt
Not Yet Wild

So I'm thinking car wash
mattpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

I'd use the dish washer YOUR MARRIED RIGHT what would it matter now. Oh and I might add DON'T attempt to melt down lead on the kitchen stove. The wife didn't like that one ether. The list goes on I didn't get the memos OPPS
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
I'd use the dish washer YOUR MARRIED RIGHT what would it matter now. Oh and I might add DON'T attempt to melt down lead on the kitchen stove. The wife didn't like that one ether. The list goes on I didn't get the memos OPPS
don't dry high temp manifold paint in the oven, unless she will be out of town a few days!
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I did think about BBQing the muffler by putting it in the oven and using that autoclean feature. I am proud to say that it didn't work as I have absolutely no idea how the oven works.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
don't dry high temp manifold paint in the oven, unless she will be out of town a few days!
I have a portable Kenmore dishwasher for cleaning and drying parts. Don't know how anyone could live without one. Found it at a 2nd hand store for $25 about 10 years ago. I got this idea from when I used to work for a NASCAR team in their motor shop.

Use a kiln for baking...powdercoating, quick paint drying etc....Wife used to do ceramics. These are easy to find and inexpensive a used one. this one has different add on rings to increase the height of it. I need another couple of rings to do a motorcycle frame. Not large enough for a cart frame, use POR 15, but great for other parts.

Do have a oven in the garage but it is reserved for food and no parts....well maybe a few every now and then..ha ha Use it to cook seafood and collards. Wife doesn't like the smell of either in the house.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Degrease with a good cleaner

Put into dishwasher for final clean and dry......dedicated dishwasher for parts
My wife just seen this post and look at me a said " DONT YOU THINK ABOUT THAT S($#"
Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO