lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Might be a dumb one, but 88 Seal question

Heliarc,
When I rebuilt mine there was a mark on the top of the ring so I think you put it in right.

Dale,
With your cylinder being rusty I wonder now if you are just breaking it in. On the basis that you wouldn't drive your new car off the lot at 5000 rpm I think that if you just keep doing what you are doing until you get a few hours on the engine everything will be good. In addition you are running at 40:1 so that oily mix will inhibit clean starting. Burn this tank through, replace the plug and I hope you will be good to rock and roll.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 05-18-2012 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK - Here's a new twist ... I pulled the top end again to see if I could perhaps swap the rigs back around the *right* way or at least confirm that they were incorrect, etc ...

THIS is what I found, the cylinder is smooth and shiny, but the piston is totally chewed to h**l on one side below the rings:

so NOW I have a total dilemna, button her back up and run it as You suggest, Dave, or might I be better off doing a new piston and rings and just consider it a "Do Over" ?!?!?! Any help or ideas would be appreciated, this is starting to really get to me as it's absolutely PERFECT cart weather and I really need the cart for yardwork, etc so I really don't want to screw with it too much longer ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Looking at the state of that piston, I think that you need to replace it along with the rings. What an odd story. I think that I would gently rough up the cylinder wall with some steel wool and make sure that it is all lubed up.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm actually looking at all the "pieces-parts" right now, and here's the final plan, The original jug that I holed the piston in is actually in excellent condition and is already .50 over, so I think the best move is going to be just bite it and order a set of gaskets and a .50 piston/ring set and just reuse it ... The new jug under *careful* scrutiny has a lot of pinholes, etc (remember, it actually started out rather rusty when I recieved it from Cart King) leading me to think the rust goes a little deeper than first thought, I'm going to see what (if any) satisfaction I can get from the guys there - I have to get ahold of them anyhow as I STILL haven't recieved my seals or clutch puller.

Yeah, I agree, Dave - NOTHING has been "textbook" on this one, bad parts, weirdness all around ... At least there's ONE good thing which is that the rings were correct so I can't fault myself too much (I hope) - it's a small consolation. NOW I just hope the guys at Cart King will be willing to work with me on the issue(s) past and present with the whole fiasco !!!

Thanks as always !!!

Dale
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the new piston/rings/gaskets, and I spent some time explaining the whole ordeal to Cart King - they're RMA'ing the top end kit and refunding me, so other than an inordinate number of engine extraction/replacments this past week it looks like at least I'm not out any money (they're even sending a call tag so no need to pay shipping - VERY cool) ...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

ALRIGHT ... NOW I'm starting to really get "irked" ... On the upside, Cart King DID send a call-slip for UPS to pick up the bad jug, but then I get an email saying they'll credit me after they recieve credit from their vendor, etc etc etc (meaning I return it to them, they return it to the vendor, the vendor eventually credits them, they eventually credit ME ...)

AND NOW, almost a week later, I finally recieve my "priority shipped due to them forgetting to put it in the first order" clutch puller, via UPS GROUND, and it's a Comet puller, not the EZGO puller I ordered. Wonder how THIS is going to go, maybe they thought I was putting the 2PG top end on a 3PG bottom end, therefore I would obviously need .... Ah nevermind. Maybe I'll keep it, snowmobiles often use Comet clutches, and at this rate if I keep relyingon these guys to get anywhere I'd be better off BUILDING a snowmobile as it'll be late November by the time a simple order gets worked out. <end rant>

I know I can't mention certain "Non-Sponsors", but gimme a B gimme a U - the ONE return I've had with them were easy and immediate, no hassles, immediate chargeback (as well as a call tag for the return) and THAT was a part that I had actually misordered myself back when I was first getting into this (after 7 orders with them over the last 2 yeqars - some quite spendy - they've never sent a wrong, damaged, etc part, and Cart King has now done BOTH in a rather untimely, PITA fashion !!!)

I've got a couple of great years with this forum (and hopefully many more to come) but it literally took me THREE MINUTES to try and save a couple of bucks with Cart King (a site sponsor) to launch what is turninig into a complete fiasco.

BTW, the tracking shows my jug and rings here in the AM, I hope I have time to wrap it up tomorrow, otherwise that dang work thing is going to put me off til Sat *sigh*
Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Dang jobs...Almost seems you have to go to work in order to be able to keep going to work.Glad for the warning on Cart King.Maybe they're having an incredibly bad streak, but it's too coincidental for me to take a chance on it.Plus the vendor to the vendor to them and you finally get credit, that's just incredibly poor service.Good luck on it.

Ho Ho Ho
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #28
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It's all pretty shabby service Dale but if it is any consolation over 320 people have read this thread and been warned off Cart King.

Dave
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

UPS dropped the order from B/U at 11:35 this AM, .50 over top end all done, other than the requisite struggles getting the engine in and all the bolts aligned by myself (floor jack came in REAL handy today) it was "Badda Bing, Badda Boom" ...

128psi compression (not broken in yet of course, hopefully that goes up a bit) and WOW the difference in running, power, etc is night and day from the pre-blown motor.

Thanks as always for the assistance and listening to me rant, Y'all - JUST in time for the holiday weekend too, hahahahahahaha !!!!!!

YEAH !!!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
rjc799
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Glad things are getting better.
rjc799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO