lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No power up hill

The 2-strokes have a tendency to pass a lot of unburned oil through with the exhaust and it builds up in the baffles until it starts to restrict the airflow to the point of actually (in some cases) not allowing the cart to run at all - def check the plug and carb first though, they're more likely to be the issue
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Woodchiper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Exhaust seems to be OK. Cleaned carb and found that the butterfly shaft and bushings are worn a lot. Motor is running good with a lot of top end speed on flat road. Clutches are moving evenly as we go up hill and flat road. I'm guessing I should look into getting a shorter drive belt??
Woodchiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, it's definitely an option, but there are still a few things to double-check ... First and foremost, roll your current belt off the clutches and take a good look at it - in another thread this AM Dave actually reminded me that belts will start to slip under load if they wear (I'm so used to just *breaking* things that I sometimes forget stuff *does* just wear out, LOL) - if the width of your belt is at an inch or less, then there's a good chance that you're worn to the point of slipping under load, which will also give you the symptoms you describe. A shorter belt will definitely give you a little more takeoff power as well as a good amount of climbing torque and power (albeit at the cost of some of that top-end speed) but if your old/current belt is worn and slipping you *may* want to look into just replacing it (my cart is a 2PG with 22X11's and a 5" lift, and I live at an old Ski Resort - plenty of hills - and even w 2 people on the cart the stock belt does a fairly good job of hauling us up and down).

I personally tried a shorter belt, and while I *did* notice the difference right away, I wasn't happy with the 4mph or so I lost at the top end (which is where I try and maintain speed whenever possible, LOL) - your mileage of course may vary, as they say. The difference in the two on takeoff is *almost* like having a first gear when you normally start in second, if that helps, at the top end it's a bit like having to stay in 4th instead of hitting fifth.

I'm guessing you're running premix and have removed the oil-injection (or possibly it was done prior to you obtaining your cart - a very common and very intelligent thing to do) - if you're running too heavy of a mix (factory spec is 128:1) it could be that the cart is just having trouble burning the heavier mix, THAT would also show up under load a lot more than on the flats.

If you're anywhere close to Lake Geneva, WI I would gladly let you borrow a belt to see if that would solve your woes, but that's unlikely - noone in there right mind lives here (sorry WGW and Essness, hahahaha) ... measure your current belts width, inspect it for wear, etc and if you do need a new one, I'm sure Dave will be along soon, he's a veritable fountain of part numbers with belts, etc
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Woodchiper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I am prefixing gas and oil @ 1.5oz per gallon of gas. I will inspect and measure the belt for wear before going that route (do not want to lose the speed).

Thank You
Woodchiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, 1.5oz per gallon is 50% heavier of a mix than you should be running (1oz:1gal gives you 128:1) ... Prob not a HUGE problem, but definitely will affect the running (I'm breaking in a new top end right now with a heavier mix and it's KILLING me top-end wise)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
garredondojr
Not Yet Wild

I had a similar issue with my cart and thought my clutches were working ok but found out that the driven clutch would never down shift all the way nor would it stay in low gear. the ramps were completely worn and it had zero preload. same problem. ran good on the flats and nothing on a incline. mine is a 4 stroke btw.
garredondojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
SurfnWolf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by garredondojr View Post
I had a similar issue with my cart and thought my clutches were working ok but found out that the driven clutch would never down shift all the way nor would it stay in low gear. the ramps were completely worn and it had zero preload. same problem. ran good on the flats and nothing on a incline. mine is a 4 stroke btw.
Do you just replace the Driven Clutch, or can one be repaired? I had a similar issue the other day with my 1998 EZGO Gaser...going up a pretty step hill with just me and my son..ran awefully slow just putting up 3/4 the hill...then it kicked into another gear...and ran the last 1/4 fine..sounds like one of the clutches was sticking....but what can you do about a sticking clutch?
SurfnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
garredondojr
Not Yet Wild

You can disasemble it and survey the damages. Then if not gouged you can put New ramps, clean it up and be back in business. Just make sure you have access to a vice to set the preload.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
SurfnWolf
Not Yet Wild

If its sticking...is it usually the Drive Clutch or the Driven clutch. I can see the Drive Clutch opening and closing moving in and out,,,but how does the Driven clutch work? I just havent watched it enough to tell how it opens and closes? and what makes it stick?

thanks!
SurfnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
garredondojr
Not Yet Wild

Mine was the driven. It should open slowly with speed and close as you slow down. Mine would almost open half way within the first few feet then open the rest the way progressively. It would also never fully close. It could open it with just my hands. If I pushed downwards on the belt I could almost open it fully just by hand. You shouldn't be able to open it much or at all by hand
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO