lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
ftlboy717
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 ezgo piston play

i have a 1989 ezgo marathon,and i rode around the yard with little to no power,i pulled the head and the piston has alot of play at tdc(side to side) i found a complete top end kit for $180 for everything,jug,piston,etc... any one no anywere cheaper to get what i need? or think i could get the next size piston and just bore the cylinder to match? trying to find the cheapest fix,paid $20 for the cart and trying to flip it for a profit,Thanks
ftlboy717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ezgo piston play

$180 shipped is a decent price for a full top end kit, figure about 2 hrs front to back for the R&R and whatnot ... If you're going to flip the cart though, it depends a lot on if you have a shop closeby that can do the machining - a .050 over piston and ring set will only set you back about $50-ish (most good cart suppliers stock them) and of course you're also looking at another $15 worth of gaskets, etc (either way you're going to likely have to do a little resurfacing on the head to ensure it's flat before you put it all back together) ...

Wanna double your money - I'll give you $40 as it sits, LOL ?!?!?!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
ftlboy717
Not Yet Wild

lol,if you were close i may take you up on that deal,i have 6 carts right now trying to downsize,only plan on keeping my harley and my ezgo i have, it has a yamaha 433 b sled motor on it and a 4 inch lift kit made from exhaust pipe with suzuki gs shocks on the rear and my old set of f250 shocks for the front.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
ftlboy717
Not Yet Wild

i got the cart from some random person setting along side the road,kinda a funny story i saw two guys along side the road with it and i stopped to give a hand and the guy was so mad he told me $20 takes it ,i loaded it up right there and brought her home ,dont even know were the guy lives at,after i got it home i was thinking it was the head gasket leaking ,which i was right but after i replaced that thats when i found the piston had all that play in it
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

it's funny how cart stories go, mine was sitting on a trailer next to this old barn up the road FOREVER, I always thought I should stop and ask about it but never did ... Anyhow, turns out I ended up KNOWING the guy who owned it, it was at the heart of a family feud, the grandpa's buddy did a bunch of work to it and screwed it up so all of a sudden it became a "hostage" because the grandson wouldn't pay Grandpas friend, etc etc ... A little smooth talking, a case of beer and $50 later (oh, and an hour or so digging the trailer axle out of the ground and weeds and a quick trip to run the tires and get them filled on the trailer) I was off for home half drunk with no trailer lights, a bent rim on the trailer, several REALLY nasty hornets nests, and my new cart ...

There's a 3-wheel Harley cart I'm stopping to look at today before I tear down from last nights show - I don't NEED it, it's ugly black-ish primer with leopard-print seats, that funky canopy that only attaches at the rear, etc but it's been sitting in the yard at all 3 moving sales the family has had over the last few weeks - looks like they're really starting to scrape the barrel unloading stuff so I'm going to see just how good my lowballing skills still are or aren't, LOL.

It's a sickness, I tell ya !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO