lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 ez go need help

So I got the ez go going it has been awesome. I removed the oil injection and have been premixing. The other day my daughter ran it out of fuel, she also kept pushing the pedal till she killed the battery. So I push it to the shop charge the battery ad fuel and she runs again. Go to use it Sunday and its wont go. Will turn over but will not run. it tries every once in a while. but thats it. I have unhooked the fuel filter and have big spurts of gas coming out. I have changed the plug and have what looks like good spark. Pulled the plug and it is wet with gas. I have a compression gauge and that is next on the list. Any idea what compression should be? It just puzzles me as this thing has ran great and all of a sudden its dead.
milky7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 ez go need help

To answer the easy part; a new engine will run at about 140 psi however anything over 100 psi is going to work.

If you are seeing a spark outside the cylinder and yet the plug is still wet when you pull it I suspect that the plug is failing under pressure which is not uncommon. I would try a new plug and see what happens.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Dave I put a new plug in and still have the same results.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Checked. Compression 110 foward 110 reverse gas lit with a match.
Any ideas? Time to hei upgrade? I have good spark on new and old plug.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

So I added HEI ignition thought the spark was weak. Still no good. So I have compression, I have spark, I have fuel. Is there a chance I have to much fuel? The plug came out wet with fuel? Any ideas from here?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

So I added HEI ignition thought the spark was weak. Still no good. So I have compression, I have spark, I have fuel. Is there a chance I have to much fuel? The plug came out wet with fuel? Any ideas from here?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK, here's a relatively easy bit of routine maintainance that actually *might* fix you up, there's a chance that a partially plugged jet or ? in your carb is throwing things off enough to not let it start and run right (and that would fit in nicely with running the cart dry, too) ... First, disconnect your cables and air cleaner from the carb as well as the fuel line, then pull the carb at the 2 10mm nuts holding it on (they're on the intake elbow, opposite side of the engine). Once the carb is off, follow the exploded diagram provided to thoroughly clean the jets and needle valve (the circled parts in the diagram) and then do everything in reverse to reinstall the carb ... Then give her another try

If the carb cleaning doesn't restore things, then try this: look and find where the exhaust pipe bolts to the actual muffler (should be held together with 2 9/16" bolts) - loosen but don't remove the bolts (you're looking to create a gap between the pipe and the muffler, not take either off) - try the cart. Be forewarned, if it starts it's going to be LOUD LOUD LOUD ... If the cart backfired, etc etc while running out of fuel (common) there's an outside chance either a baffle could have been loosened in there or possibly some gunk, soot, etc from over the years dislodged and is backing your muffler up.

(BTW, if that's the deal, don't panic - THAT's an easy fix too, and best of all FREE !!!!)

Let us know how it goes
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. I just cleaned the carb a couple months ago so I didnt even think about looking at that. I will report back, Thanks a million for all the info!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

So far I have cleaned the carb, BBQ the muffler and added HEI ignition.It is now running but it acts like it is skipping or will not biuld any rpms .It was running great before my daughter ran it out of fuel. I can make a few laps around then it almost just has no power, and runs but will not move. I used syntheic 2 stroke oil I had laying around it was red but i think 2 stroke oil is all the same it was for a weedeater. Do you have any ideas? Thanks Richard
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The 2PG engine is very intolerant of air leaks and even the slightest will throw the engine completely off. So did you use new gaskets when you cleaned the carburetor? If not I would get the back end on stands start the engine and spray some WD40 around the unions. If the engine note changes you have found a leak. Whilst you are there look behind the drive clutch at the crankshaft where it goes into the block. Now with the engine running spray WD40 right in there (being very careful for your personal safety). Does the engine tone or rpm's increase?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO