lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How do you unseize the motor?

We have a 96 ezgo workhorse and the solenoid and electrical all seem ok.

I was driving it on a slightly uphill road and it lost power and finally just died. We had to tow it home.

What do we do to unsieze the motor. The drive belt is ok and it turns the starter motor, but the gas motor will not turn over. HELP !!
c21tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How do you unseize the motor?

Turn the primary clutch by hand. If it turns, then the motor is not seized. Just probably no gas is being pumped out. Check your pump system.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You say the belt turns the starter?The starter will turn reguardless if the belt is on or off.If the starter is turning with the belt on it,then the motor is turning as well.Do you mean it spins but won't run?More info will help.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Removed the starter generator drive belt... the starter generator spins but the motor will not turn by hand or any other means...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Conrad removed the starter generator drive belt.. the starter generator spins but the motor will not turn by hand or any other means... now what ??
Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The motor does not spin.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Ok,that clears it up.Did you run it out of oil,was it knocking before it quit,or did it just lock up,with no warning?I would pull it out,remove the side-cover,and check it out.At minimum,you will need rod and main bearings,hopefully it didn't trash the crankshaft,that will need machining or replacement.I know these engines have issues with the cam-gear failing,but not sure if it causes the engine to lockup or just quit.I would tear it down and see what is going on.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you... he did get it to start after adding oil and hand turning the motor. Now it has a really loud knocking sound so he's tearing it apart further. At least he got it to start and both forward and reverse are working... just that very loud knocking !!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't run it anymore! The connecting rod could break and knock a hole in the crankcase! Depending on what you find, you may want to think about another engine. Maybe a bigger engine!!!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

He has the motor on the bench taking it apart. He can't get the clutch and the fan off. How do you get these off ? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Also, if it does need a new engine, what would you recommend and how much are they and where would you suggest to shop for one ?

Tags
motor won't turn
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO