lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 marathon back firing and not running properly

Hi there everyone. So the problem........I have an 84 marathon that slowly started to act up. It started just with a few surges and what not. Then it started to back fire here and there. Now its back firing alot and missing. I checked the plug. looks fine. checked the coil wires. seemed fine. etc. im no mechanic of sorts but can limp along. any ideas or help would be greatly accepted.
islandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 marathon back firing and not running properly

It could possibly be your crank seals. First jack up the rear of the cart and put it on jackstands. You dont want a runaway cart. Second get some carb cleaner or wd-40 and while you got the motor running spray in front of the drive clutch( the one on the motor) and if it changes rpm then the seal is bad. If not the seals i would adjust the throttle cable. that will also cause backfiring. Hope this helps.
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I assume your engine is the 2pg robin 244 cc two stroke?

Mine would backfire when I left off the throttle and would try to coast. After I removed the engine I determined that a back head gasket and broken head bolt were causing the back fire.
ryanjap33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes my engine is the same. That would explain your problem. Sucking air through the head gasket.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
islandguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replys guys. It started kinda slowly(the problem) then got worse and worse. The one day I didnt want the cart broke down (had a pig roast) and well it did. Tryed driving around the yard and was missing and back firing, no power etc. Drove me mad. I will grab the jack stands and give the seals a check tonight(if the boss lets me out of the house) and start there.
islandguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO