lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
Nutman4239
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha g16 gas leaves me sit

I sometimes have trouble from the start. When I push the gas petal I here the solenoid clicking but nothing happens. After pushing and releasing the gas petal a few times the cart will drive. Battery tested good. After I drive the cart for a good distance it will shut off n leave me sit. After sitting for a good 10 minutes it will start up and take off, it may run totally fine after that or sometimes it will shut off again. When it shuts off the only thing it will do is a low idle(it will not move forward or reverse). Sometimes it will backfire while attempting to get it running while in the low idle state. I replaced the fuel pump and filters about a year ago. I replaced the air filter and fuel filters again about 2 months ago when the cart started giving trouble. I have a fuel filter before the fuel pump and one in between the fuel pump and carburetor. I have good gas supply to the carb. Some say its in the carb, others say it's the voltage regulator or ignition coil. Each of those items are salty in price and I'm looking for some better info before spending a lot of money on parts. I'm thinking the ignition coil is overheating?? Thanks everyone.
Nutman4239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha g16 gas leaves me sit

Ok when you mean the cart will not start do you mean the engine not firing or that generator not turning before the engine fires?? If your generator will not start turning when you barely press the pedal then check your start/stop switch underneath the pedal. I had one that was faulty. Solenoid would click but generator would not turn. Sometimes worked fine and sometimes sitting in the middles of the path pressing the pedal in and out praying for the cart to startup. Switch was about 50$
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Nutman4239
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi dbmachine, when I first get on the cart (after being parked for a couple days) and press the pedal the solenoid will click. The motor will not turn or start. After playing with the pedal a couple times the motor will turn and run fine for awhile. Sometimes while driving the motor will shutoff and leave me sit. At that point the cart motor will turn on a low idle but will not fire up. If I sit their for about 10-15 minutes without doing anything the cart will fire up and I can drive it again like nothing is wrong. I hope this post helps a little better. Thanks
Nutman4239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sometimes after driving it just dies for about 10min, then runs again = TCI (coil). This will get worse, and is worse in warmer weather. Sounds like you have 2 seperate problems tho. (click but no crank is a different unrelated problem)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
mrtbone49
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mine has left me at 10th hole 3 times now. Thought filter,pump ect. Then start right up when I retrieve it after back nine. Tci coil?? Where is it located? Thanks
mrtbone49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

All the plastic air shroud has to be removed from the passenger side of the engine (where the air inlet is). It is located next to the flywheel/fan. There is a hidden 10mm bolt on the back/bottom of the air shroud that can be removed with a 1/4" drive rachet, extension, universal joint, and short 10mm socket.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sometimes after driving it just dies for about 10min, then runs again = TCI (coil). This will get worse, and is worse in warmer weather. Sounds like you have 2 seperate problems tho. (click but no crank is a different unrelated problem)

I agree with cgtech, sounds like two problems. Click with no crank = weak battery (I know you said checks ok). Usually what happens is battery fags when engine hits compression. Pumping pedal will inch it through compression then it may or may not crank after a little head start.

Stops after a while = coil (maybe). Next time it stops mid trip, check for presence of spark. If no spark, try disconnecting the "kill" wire (blue wire) from the coil and see if it spark returns. Suggest you go to stickies and get your wiring diagram. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha