lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Parking lights on a Precedent

I have the LED front headlight on my Precedent with the turn signals on both sides of the bar. I don't have turn signals nor need them. I would like to turn my turn signals into running lights by adding a 3 position switch. Has anyone done this before that has any guidance to save me some time here?
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Parking lights on a Precedent

You’re gonna need to run a 12v switched power to the light, and wire that input power to the right and left “blinker” lights. If I recall the blue and green wires are the main headlight power wires on the light kit harness at the headlight, but I would test each and see the response on the light then wire said fee to the two “blinker” lights.

So you will have a switched power for the headlights, and a switched power for the “blinker” lights which could be done on a 3 way switch.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah I'm thinking a 3 way pull-out switch just like an old car or truck used. It will require a bit of reworking of the wiring harness I think.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The wiring should be pretty easy, look for the unused 9-pin connector in the dash harness (near the key switch) where the turn signal would connect.

The Green and the Red wires are the ones that go to the front marker lights.

Use Scotchlok T-tap connectors in each wire and connect them to the 1st position of your new 3 way switch.

If there is not enough room near the 9-pin connector just trace the wires a little back and tap them as they go down from the dash to the front.

You can also use the marker as a DRL and keep your existing headlight switch by adding a 12v SPDT relay.

Relay wiring:
COM - Always ON +12v from existing headlight switch (leave it also connected to old headlight switch).
N.C. - Green and Red wires from 9-pin connector.
N.O. - Switched +12v that was connected to existing headlight switch (remove it from existing switch)

Coil terminal - Switched +12v from existing headlight switch.
Other Coil terminal - Negative wire, You can tap it on the Black wire from 9-pin connector.
That will keep the marker lights ON anytime the key switch is ON (assumes +12v is controlled by key switch) and will turn them OFF automatically when you turn the headlights ON.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
Seang1989
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My lights are controlled by twisting the end of the turn signal like in a car, except on the first position everything comes on. I wonder if there is a way to rewire so the turn signals came on as running lights?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Seang1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seang1989 View Post
My lights are controlled by twisting the end of the turn signal like in a car, except on the first position everything comes on. I wonder if there is a way to rewire so the turn signals came on as running lights?

Which turn signal setup do you have? Mine do the same. Two positions on the twist, but when I buzzed out the harness, both positions appeared to make the same connection.
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
Seang1989
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCar86 View Post
Which turn signal setup do you have? Mine do the same. Two positions on the twist, but when I buzzed out the harness, both positions appeared to make the same connection.
It's supposed to be a RecPro, came in generic packaging. I didn't check the output with a meter, but same thing, two positions on the twist and the headlight comes on with both.

I was just thinking, I wonder if there is a way to splice in a dial or potentiometer of some sort on the dash to reduce voltage to the head light. Sometimes it's just too bright.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Your Turn signal assembly harness supports the High/Low beam feature there will be an extra pig tail wire with a bullet connector on the 9-pin connector from the Turn signal assembly.

You should also be able to wire a PWM type dimmer but keep in mind that most of the low cost models are "low side" drivers so You will need to tap into the negative wire that goes to the headlight to be able to dim the lights.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Seang1989
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If Your Turn signal assembly harness supports the High/Low beam feature there will be an extra pig tail wire with a bullet connector on the 9-pin connector from the Turn signal assembly.

You should also be able to wire a PWM type dimmer but keep in mind that most of the low cost models are "low side" drivers so You will need to tap into the negative wire that goes to the headlight to be able to dim the lights.
I would have to look at the harness. I'm assuming it supports high/low beam feature. I think there was an unused 9-pin connector. I'll look at some point. There isn't a lot of room back there with the harnesses and other crap.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car