lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question Older DS won’t go

I got a older DS from a neighbors estate for $25. It had sat for 6 years. I put new batteries in it and a free set of take offs from a local cart barn. Kids and I drive it around for a few months then it was sputtering like a loose connection. Pulled it into the barn to take a look when I saw the solenoid had crumbled. I’m guessing from age. I stole one from another cart we own and it seemed ok. It sat for the summer and so batteries had no water when I went to charge. I again put a set of batteries in it. The v-glide was also Beginning to crumble. I replaced the glide and micro switches on the f/r and the new valise cane with a new one. I’m not sure how old it is but the rear is fiberglass body. It has a single solenoid, vglide, and a coil strip with 5 coils. I plan to upgrade it eventually to solid state from Scotty b. Thing is it now won’t go. I can hear the micro switches clicking and I think the solenoid clicking but it doesn’t even budge. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I don’t want to just keep swapping parts.
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Older DS won’t go

Can you tell us the serial number and take some photos under the seat? What micro switches are clicking?

Do you mean 5 solenoids? Something does not sound right.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cart has 1 solenoid and a resistor coil set with the 5 different color wires attached, with one wire at each coil It has 1 micro switch in the v-glide and one micro switch on the f/r control. It’s late 80’s I’m guessing. I’m sure it’s older than my 92 DS but with the same set up. This year group does usually have 5 solenoids but this one does not and it was set up this way when I got it. I’ll get a picture of the serial here in a bit. And some of how it’s laid out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like 89 is the year. Here are the pics

Old 08-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Well, regardless of what you end up doing to it, you're still way ahead of the game in a free cart. :D
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoBuggies View Post
The cart has 1 solenoid and a resistor coil set with the 5 different color wires attached, with one wire at each coil It has 1 micro switch in the v-glide and one micro switch on the f/r control. It’s late 80’s I’m guessing. I’m sure it’s older than my 92 DS but with the same set up. This year group does usually have 5 solenoids but this one does not and it was set up this way when I got it. I’ll get a picture of the serial here in a bit. And some of how it’s laid out.

OK. This makes more sense. Check and make sure the solenoid is clicking.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok. The solenoid is what I hear clicking not the micro switches. In N with key on it has 0 volts across the big terminals. In F/R it has 38.9 volts which is the same as the total voltage for the 6 pack of batteries. Each battery has 6.3 to 6.4 volts currently.

I have replaced to this point the v-glide in its entirety, the F/R micro switch, the key switch and I just put these batteries in before it decided to not go.

Is it just too low on charge to make any movement? Shouldn’t it at least try to lurch or budge even if pack is “ “ dead?

Old 08-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Is the solenoid clicking without pressing go pedal?
Old 12-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

ooops Sorry all. I was looking at a picture of the vin plate and it appears it is an 89 not 87.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mooncarter. I have been side tracked and didn’t get back to this post. I thought I was hearing the solenoid but it was the micro switches I’m pretty sure. I wound up swapping the solenoid out and it worked. I think it was a combination of the micro switches and solenoid. I changed so much at the same time I may not know. But nothing worked until I finally swapped the solenoid.

Thanks for the input.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car