lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZGO Series Rebuild

So, I have been looking at making my own hunting golf cart for a few years now and finally bit the bullet after seeing that a new 2 wheel drive cart new is around $8K from the hunting industry (without naming companies). I figure I could build a used one for at least 1/2 the price!

Bought a 2001 EZGO with a Jakes lift kit and new tires on it already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
deerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 EZGO Series Rebuild

Batteries in it were from 2001 still and suprising it still had enough juice to still go about 3 miles an hour. But, I took them all out to inspect the battery cages and the inside!

The guts looked really good! I decided on 6 new T105 Trojan batteries and I picked them up from a dealer here in Hazelwood, MO at a really good price from what I could find on the internet.

So, I have the new batteries and just awaiting on the new motor, controller, sellenoid and wiring harness.

I bought my parts from D&D Motors and they were extremely helpful and I think they steered me in the right direction.

Went with the 4 1 motor and 500 amp controller. Should be around 12mph (which is plenty fast for a hunting cart) but will be pulling some really good torque to make it up the big hills and for pulling out deer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Guts.jpg (46.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

The only thing I will think about upgrading might be the leaf springs...they don't look really heavy duty, but for now, it will have to do. Going to redo the seat myself with some new vinyl. Might put a rear receiver hitch on back as well for a cart to pull.

So, what problems or tricks can you guys share with me as I get into this rebuild? I was told to take a wire off, replace a wire so I don't get them mixed up.

Is the motor better to take out the back or through the battery compartment?

Everything looks pretty simple and am starting to think electric is really just getting the wires correct!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!!!

Don't know what you paid for cart or what is already under the seat, but for $4K you ought to be able to build yourself a nice hunting buggy.

Since you are going the torque route rather than speed, I'd go with 2Ga cables and you'll need to upgrade the F/R switch to a Heavy Duty one.

The new batteries need the be fully charged before first use and then broken in properly to get max storage capacity.
Here is how to do it. Also read everything that has "Battery" in title while there. Tons of good info.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Good luck and post pictures of your progress.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerlover View Post
The only thing I will think about upgrading might be the leaf springs...they don't look really heavy duty, but for now, it will have to do. Going to redo the seat myself with some new vinyl. Might put a rear receiver hitch on back as well for a cart to pull.

So, what problems or tricks can you guys share with me as I get into this rebuild? I was told to take a wire off, replace a wire so I don't get them mixed up.

Is the motor better to take out the back or through the battery compartment?

Everything looks pretty simple and am starting to think electric is really just getting the wires correct!
The plastic cover between the rear fenders is removable, motor comes straight up once it is loose. Five screws hold the cover on and three bolts hold motor on. Be careful, it is heavy.

Here's a wiring diagram for the batteries. (Also shows where to attach Negative DVM lead for most voltage measurements.)

Download the three *.pdf files in this post from the stickies at the top of this forum. They are the Owner, Service and parts manuals.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Golf carts are fairly simple machines, but they can bite you hard if you get careless working on them.
Batteries have enough current to arc weld and give off explosive gasses, so keep that in mind and wear eye protection.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
bohuntr9
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just recently sold my ATV and bought an electric cart to build for hunting. I bought a 2000 ezgo series for $1600. I knew what I wanted the outcome to be so I decided just to do it right from the start. I stripped the stock cart all the way down to the frame and started from scratch. I replaced EVERYTHING except the main frame. I just finished it up this week. Here is a list of what I did to it....
-D&D high tourqe motor
-500amp alltrax controller
-400amp HD soloniod
-HD forward and reverse switch
-2Ga cables
-6" lift
-HD Leaf springs
-22" ITP mudlight tires
-roof rack
-brush guard with winch
-utility bed
-6 Brand new 6V US125 batteries
-camo seat covers
-Herculiner body and top
-onboard digital volt meter

When I finished the cart I took it over to the farm to try it out. I started climbing hills that most people wouldn't touch with an ATV. To say that I was impressed is an understatement. I never imagined that it would climb some of the hills that it did. I am very pleased with how it turned out. If you truly want a "hunting cart" without spending the big bucks for the stealth and BB, it is possible. The only thing that mine dosn't have is 4WD and I have a winch for that....after it was all said and done I had about $4600 invested in it. Feel free to give me a call or text if you have any questions.....980-722-7946
bohuntr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnie! Good read on breaking in the batteries! I put the new ones in, but noticed the wires between each battery were not in good shape anymore. So I am replacing them prior to charging.

I am hoping with the wiring harness that I get the new wires for the batteries as well! I am actually going to call D&D today to ensure that is the case. If not, I will need to go find some new wires!

Everything comes in Wed, so I would like to get it put together while I have the time!

PS, I only paid $1,200 for the cart...guy wanted $1,800. Good negotiation skills I guess! When it is all said and done, I should have less than $3,500 in the cart! Anything accessory wise will be more on top of that, but for $3,500, I will have a running and useful cart!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
buckhunter31
Not Yet Wild

Could you post some pic of your completed cart? I am thinking of doing the exact same thing you just did. How fast does your cart go?
buckhunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

bohunter9, that is great information and a relief to hear that you are satisfied with your build! You mind posting some pictures of your buggy?

Just checked my UPS tracking and it is set to deliver today! On the truck as of 7:35 this morning!

I have thought about the brush guard and winch set up as well as doing my own seat job with new vinyl from a regular fabrick shop around here.

Good thing with the cart I have is it has a spot for an extra battery that I can run accessories like a winch off of. For now it will stay empty.

Curious as to the voltage meter, saw a link on someones signature out here that sells a digital one and thought it looked fairly easy to install. What are your thoughts?

buckhunter31 - I will keep a log of what we are doing and share that on this link. I am always curious to see someone else's step by step instructions as I am a hands on and "like to see it" kind of guy.

I literally should have no more than $3,500 in this cart when I am done tonight! Getting excited!

Any hints on how to take off that back fender to get the motor out? I looked at it last night as I was going to prep it but could not identify the bolts that keep the fenders on!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

No reason to take off the fenders... you just need to take off the black plastic motor cover that's between the fenders in order to access the motor.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO