lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Rharding
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Drive controller diagnostics

Hello all,

I am having a major issue with a 2007 G29 Drive cart. I am thinking it is the controller, but wanted to ask some experts before purchasing a new one.

Here is what has happened: Old batteries were shot, would not hold any type of charge, so I bought new batteries (US Battery US 12V XC2). Washed battery area and entire cart, installed new batteries placed the run/tow switch to run, turned ignition key to on, put in forward, depressed accelerator. Cart drove forward just fine, applied brakes, put in reverse to drive out of shop drove probably 60 foot and felt a couple of jerks and the cart has not ran as of yet.

I have checked the following and everything checks correct: battery voltage(51.7) 3 amp fuse, ignition switch, forward/reverse switch, limit switch on the accelerator pedal, solenoid (i can jump this manually and it works fine), run/tow switch.

Usually when you change the switch from tow to run the solenoid kicks in for a couple of seconds and the clicks off. The cart will not do that at all. At this time the solenoid is getting positive voltage but no negative. Also, usually in the run mode the regenerative braking will kick the solenoid in when you manually try to push the cart, but this is not happening either.

I do not know how to check the throttle position switch, so any advice there would be great.

Looks like I am down to the controller, but wanted to know if I have missed something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Drive controller diagnostics

If no negative to contactor (comes from controller), no contactor click with tow switch (it should), and no rollaway prevention (should happen anytime tow/run is on), you have bigger problems than the 0-5v throttle sensor. I think you just got bitten by the "moric". That controller is notorious for its "crappyness".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Rharding
Not Yet Wild

Thanks gctech, I was afraid of that. I know the controllers are probably like light bulbs and could go out at any time, but do you think there could have been any other issue that caused this to go out? Also, what would be the best replacement? OEM or after market? Good source?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Only plug&play options i know of are OEM and Fsip. Fsip has a new aftermarket solution for drives that i have been wanting to try. Their older solution, the "fx" lineup was not very good in my opinion. (heat problems, and not much performance improvement for "500 amps"). There are more aftermarket solutions on the way, but not here yet. I have been using alltrax DCX controllers in drives, but it is a custom made solution that i build, but, it is not exactally "plug & play". If you call alltrax, and ask, they will tell you it wont work, but i assure you it can be done.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
Rharding
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I have been searching for a replacement and have found the OEM(Moric), the FSIP and a GE (300 amp, 48 volt GE regen controller for stock replacement. For Yamaha G29 Drive. Adaptor wire harness included.) The GE looks like the cheapest route. I am not looking to upgrade to a larger anything, so stock or close aftermarket would be fine. Lokking for cheap, but good value.

The FSIP and the GE look similar, are they the same controller? I was reading the installation instructions for FSIP and it mentioned removing the "A2" wire from the cart altogether. This has me confused, can you clarify.

If you had the choice between the OEM, FSIP or GE(if it is not the same as FSIP) which one would you choose?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

The fsip and ge are the same "fx" lineup, im not impressed. Fsip now offers a "curtis" brand setup for drives. The curtis is programmable for performance characteristics (mild or fast or anywhere in between plus loads of other settings). I dont know of all the offerings from fsip for the curtis, but the 300amp model would be fairly close to stock. The question about the A2 terminal goes like this, the main negative wire from the battery pack joins the A2 cable in one terminal at the controller, the A2 would have to be cut off the negative wire and hav its own terminal put on it as it will go to a different terminal (M-) on any other controller than a moric controller. I have to do this modification on my alltrax DCX setups too. Fsip may be able to rebuild your "moric". If it were my choice, i would go with my alltrax setup, or for "plug & play" i would be looking at the curtis fsip setup.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Rharding
Not Yet Wild

Tell me more about your alltrax setup. I am assuming the mods you are having to make are the 26 pin interface. What kind of price range are we talking about and how much would be involved in the installation. Thanks for all of your advice on this.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I have to cut the factory end off the cart wire harness, then add a plug for the alltrax. I also use my own custom designed unit to make the factory 0-5v throttle play nice with the dcx controller that does not natively support a 5v throttle. This part is my secret weapon, allowing me to properly field any motor that alltrax supports.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

I would be making my own adapter harness, but i have to order at least 100 of the expensive plugs, with no guarntee i could ever sell them all. Like i said, others are very close to releasing plug&play ydre controllers that will render my setup un-necessary.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Rharding
Not Yet Wild

The alltrax setup sounds great, Can you supply all of the parts required for an individual to install the required cable plug and be set?

Also, thanks for explaining the "A2" wire, that makes sense to me. Any idea on the cost of the curtis FSIP setup?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha