lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 broken resistor

Hello. My first post but I've been lurking for awhile. I have an older Yamaha G2 with a broken resistor. It's a clean break so I was wondering if it can be welded or will I have to replace it?

Thanks. Jason

Jasonrkba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: G2 broken resistor

Looks like a good excuse to convert to solid state!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ive been buying batteries a pair at a time each payday and have bought 4 US2200 so far. Had plans to buy the last two next payday $100 a pop. Whole system has been rewired and other odds and ends its become a money pit on a tight budget. Im no cart pro but a fairly sharp guy. What would you guys say my most budget friendly option is here. My disabled wife is going to use this to get around on our farm.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The best and safest option is a solid state conversion kit from cartsunlimited.net. Not the cheapest though. You can buy that resistor. I wouldn’t bother welding it.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There is a bit of sentimental value. It was my grandfather's who passed a few years ago and now the wife is dealing with chemo so it will be her way of getting out of the house. For the short term a resistor replacement seems the most reasonable option. Would you guys have a vendor you prefer or one's to avoid? My long term plan is to buy a newer cart in about a year or two.

I really appreciate the advice.
Thanks. Jason
Old 11-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’d check the site sponsors first and see if they have it. They will treat you right. If they don’t have it then check eBay or something like that.

Also, a G2 makes a great start for an upgrade if you decide you want to build off of that. Solid state Alltrax controllers, lift kits, high speed and torque motors, all sorts of fun stuff is available for the electric G2. [emoji1303]
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ebay has been a bust. I found one place on the net asking $176. I'll check with the sponsors and see what they have.

Thanks again

The conversion was $849.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Welding may melt the resistor. You are better off soldering (which might be what you meant?)

Another thing you can do is to solder a decent gauge wire, probably 8 or 10, across the break.

I am not sure what kind of resistor bank G2s used but any resistor bank from any cart will work in theory. You just have to be able to place the speed jumpers in the right places.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was worried solder might not withstand the heat. It was getting very hot but i guess that could be due to the break. Here is a picture i took when I started working on it. I was bouncing a lot of ideas around. Possibly a M5 bolt coupling.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonrkba View Post
I was worried solder might not withstand the heat. It was getting very hot but i guess that could be due to the break. Here is a picture i took when I started working on it. I was bouncing a lot of ideas around. Possibly a M5 bolt coupling.

If that break is 100% clean then the circuit isn't complete and there should be no heat at all. You may have some other wiring issue. That said, I know resistor carts very well but not the G2 specifically so I can't say for sure.

In most cases with resistor carts if things are "right" then the resistors only get warm and not hot. Certainly not hot enough to melt solder.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha