lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 broken resistor

It put off Enough heat that I wouldn't touch it and melted the wire on top, rearward, connected to the motor.
Jasonrkba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

There is definitely something up somewhere then. Was the cart moving when the resistor melted down?

If a resistor cart isn't moving properly under load, ie. it isn't moving at all or too slowly if it is, then all of the current that would normally be dissipated via a cart's motion has to get dissipated somewhere else. Glowing hot resistors are usually where this happens.

On one of my old Cushmans (resistor carts) a solenoid stuck open so all the cart powered up the second the key was switched on w/o the need for the accelerator to be pushed. The low speed resistor got red hot within seconds. That's not normal though. Those shouldn't get too hot if things are normal.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I tried to solder it but it just rolled off. I used both regular rosen core used in electrical and the kind used to sweat copper. The resistor is made of pretty hard steel so a spot weld looks like the best bet. My wife is calling around today to try and locate a used or new one which is like finding a unicorn. Thinking with my novice understanding of what it does it seems there should be a simple repair for this thing. Replacement is obviously the right fix but im trying a repair until that unicorn shows up.

Also before I found the break I was trying to figure out why the solenoid was chattering. My original thoughts where weak batteries which I still think was a problem, but now in thinking the resistor was just jiggling around.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Reverse is great. WOT is inconsistent. Fast then slows then fast. I've been doing very short rides knowing something is off.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Atmosphere31
Not Yet Wild

Do I ever have a deal for you ;) where are you located? I have one off of my cart i'm big bore swapping. Willing to ship, unfortunately I'm in Canada, and I assume you're in the USA?
Atmosphere31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #16
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Wow thats fantastic! I may have fixed it last night but might still be interested. Im in North Carolina. What I have done, I threaded the broken ends. Screwed a nut on both broken ends leaving one hanging off just a bit while the other leaving the end of the coil protruding just a bit. I was able to solder the nuts together and reinforce it with wire used from electric fence. It seems to be holding really well. Im able to hold it up from one end and it doesn't break.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #17
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonrkba View Post
Wow thats fantastic! I may have fixed it last night but might still be interested. Im in North Carolina. What I have done, I threaded the broken ends. Screwed a nut on both broken ends leaving one hanging off just a bit while the other leaving the end of the coil protruding just a bit. I was able to solder the nuts together and reinforce it with wire used from electric fence. It seems to be holding really well. Im able to hold it up from one end and it doesn't break.

It will work. A camp neighbor once fixed his melted resister by crimping plain old copper tubing over top of the brake. It's been running like that for well over ten years now.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I put it on and it seems to work. Still have the solenoid chattering and loss of power. Im guessing the last two batteries I buy will fix that. The coil did get warm by the last wire but not hot enough to burn your hand.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
Jasonrkba
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I do have one more question. Should the coil heat up evenly or at a particular end based on the speed?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 AM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would still take Atmosphere up on his offer if ya'ii agree on price. Cart might run a long time with it, and i'm sure they are hard to find used. My 2 cents.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha