lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
chevlum
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 Drive Motor hot with burning smell

I'm troubleshooting an issue where the Motor is getting extremely hot and has a burning smell after a run. Thought originally batteries at fault due to low voltage so replaced with new. Wires at the batteries are not getting hot.

Came about after going for a drive and we hit the beach. Normally no issues along the sand. This time after about 5 minutes it started to slow down. Then dead. Waited, cooled and put the kid in and was able to accelerate and push till we hit pavement. Then no issues. Drove well but still burning smell of a very Hot motor.

We have avoided the beach since then but still get the burning smell and the motor is very hot and clearly where the smell is coming from.

Wondering if possibly solenoid is not allowing the current to flow to the motor? Would this cause it to get hot?

Need a new Motor, Brushes or Solenoid?

Thanks for the help
chevlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 09 Drive Motor hot with burning smell

Get that penny-jar ready, its motor time. And since you said "beach", I bet it's got big tires & stuff too. In that case, better start rolling dimes & nickels for a controller & cables too. If it's got big tires & stuff, another stock motor is a big waste of money. (Plus you would laugh at another stock motor once you had something better to try)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
LPnTX
Gone Wild

That tin-can junk stock Hitachi motor is toast. Call Don Plowman at Plowman's Carts and discuss his Riot Kit motor/controller options with him. He's a site sponsor and the Yamaha Guru. 810-736-1100
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
chevlum
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Get that penny-jar ready, its motor time. And since you said "beach", I bet it's got big tires & stuff too. In that case, better start rolling dimes & nickels for a controller & cables too. If it's got big tires & stuff, another stock motor is a big waste of money. (Plus you would laugh at another stock motor once you had something better to try)
Thanks CGTech, Figured. I replaced the solenoid just today for giggles. But ya the same happened got stuck on the beach. Once off it was fine. Accelerating from stop is pretty good. Actually seems better now with the new solenoid. With just me on it and a 20 minute run the motor was hot but I was able to keep my hand on it with a slight "Hot" smell.
chevlum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, hot, motor, smell
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha