lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Rick1071
Not Yet Wild

Default 90 EZGO...Clutch Questions??

Hi All,

I picked up a 1990 ezgo 2stroke on the cheap. (Real Cheap) Anyways I have a couple questions concerning the clutch. The cart is in good running condition as far as the motor is concerned with the exception of the following.....

1) The cart takes a second before it begins to move. The engine seems to have to rev quite high before the drive portion begins to close. Would this be ramps, springs or ??

2) Is there a way to check the driven clutch to see its working properly. I can actually turn the shieves in opposite directions fairly easily. Is this normal?

I did install a new drive belt thinking the old one was worn but it didnt help much. The cart does seem to run ok once the clutch does grab but it is very slow vs. what rpms the motor seems to be turning.

Thanks for any and all info you can provide,
Rick
Rick1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 90 EZGO...Clutch Questions??

hi, Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1071 View Post
Hi All,

1) The cart takes a second before it begins to move. The engine seems to have to rev quite high before the drive portion begins to close. Would this be ramps, springs or ??

It has a spring, some little arms with weights on them to apply leverage as it spins that close the clutch. sounds like yours isn't working right

2) Is there a way to check the driven clutch to see its working properly. I can actually turn the shieves in opposite directions fairly easily. Is this normal?

maybe, more so on 2 strokes than 4 stroke ones, but it shouldn't be real easy to move. taking apart and inspecting is the only way I know of checking it

Rick
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Rick1071
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Ruredy.

I finally got the clutch(s) apart. Pieces fell out of the drive and the spring is broken in the driven.

I'm assuming its just easier at this point to replace the drive clutch? As far as the spring in the driven goes, will it help to put the stiffer spring in it? I will be using the cart to haul a jr dragster around the pits. Its just mostly flat ground and paved roads.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Yea the spring will help by delaying the cvt's progression through its gearing, this allows the engine to build more rpm.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Rick1071
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Ruredy!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO