lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Default Driven clutch dissassembly 84 Marathon

Can anyone help me with the dissassembly procedure for a 84 Marathon driven clutch? I have removed the clutch from the cart and started following the directions that came with the spring. It says to remove the snap ring and carefully let the clutch slide apart. The problem is that there is no snap ring; just a set screw. I've tryed using a press to put pressure on different spots with no luck. Any advice or a link to a manual would really help. Sorry no picts.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driven clutch dissassembly 84 Marathon

My 86 marathon has a two piece snap ring and once I got that off it just came apart. Tie a rope or something around it because it will fly apart.
tompat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

That's just it. I see no snap ring at all. All it has is a set screw with a allen head. Could you be more specific about the location of the snap ring or better yet any picts. I talked to the tech at Everything Carts where I bought it but the Tech wasn't able to help me. He said he would check into it for me. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
tompat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's on the end where the bolt goes in. I don't know how to post any pics sorry, I'm from the old school and not computer smart
tompat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

look in the EZ GO "tech section " under clutch's, some where in there i remember a picture showing the snap ring.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
jbar
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

First, do you have an original EZGO clutch on your ride? The picture on the left is an OEM driven clutch.
I was just looking for a picture of the front of an OEM driven clutch and noticed that a comet clutch may be flat with an Allen screw.

The picture to the right shows the snap rings. They are hard to see, but they are there.

I just had mine apart the other day. Just like everyone else said, the side that you removed your bolt from should have a 2 piece snap ring holding it together. If you push down on the helix (to compress the spring) it will only go down a very small amount. Use a screw driver to push/pull/pry out the snap ring. I will say that it does not look like a normal snap ring. It does not have holes like a normal snap ring. It was 2 pieces, basically half moons, with some indentations in them. It was a 2 person job unless you have some that will compress the spring.

Obviously, if your clutch does not look like the one below...you probably have the comet driven clutch and someone else is going to need to help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driven clutch.jpg (104.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg driven clutch2.jpg (14.8 KB, 5 views)
jbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replys folks. Jbar; mine does not look like that one in the picture. I called a friend of mine that plays with snowmobiles. He is gonna look at it for me. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
mitch4166
Not Yet Wild

I just fixed mine. I took out the allen head screw and used a 3 jaw puller to pull the end off it was real easy. Mine the spring was weak so I put a shim behind the spring and it works good now. Did you get a new spring for yours if so where did you get it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLUTCH.jpg (10.3 KB, 3 views)
mitch4166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
jbar
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No, I did not replace my spring, but I am sure one of the sponsors could help you get a spring. As I said in my earlier post, that clutch looks like the comet clutch. My guess is someone replaced the orginal at some point.

That is obviously why the advice to take out the snap ring did not make any sense.

I started to think that was the case when I was typing my orginal response.

Good Luck.
jbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

My bubby got it apart for me. Like Mitch said. A good gear puller and presto changeo. I got my from Everything Carts. Gonna install he clutch tonight. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO